impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Skirmisher penalties
Impetus popularity - Page 2 EmptyToday at 12:45 am by Tartty

» ZOC violation
Impetus popularity - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Impetus popularity - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Impetus popularity - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Impetus popularity - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Impetus popularity - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Impetus popularity - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Impetus popularity - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Impetus popularity - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Impetus popularity

+14
tico
PaulTwister64
dadiepiombo
yorkie
Axebreaker
1ngram
Darren A
Zippee
Silverpaint68
spock
Jim Webster
starkadder
jorneto
Granicus Gaugamela
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Impetus popularity - Page 2 Empty Re: Impetus popularity

Post by dadiepiombo Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:44 am

well it is like books, music or movies. New stuff is obviously more advertised. In a short time people will forget the most and only few will remain.
Impetus is 7 years old. When Impetus 2 will be released it will be back under the spotlight. Wink
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulTwister64 Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:35 am

Our group has just switched from DBMM to Impetus....and our national gaming. Kamp here in Australia (CanCon) had both a 28mm and 15mm Impetus comps this yeR, for the first time. I think it is growing out here as FOG collapses under the weight or army list blandness and DBMM players look for alternatives. Sword and Spear is starting to get some adherents, but we have grown to love Impetus and I am rebasing armies as fast as I can..l can't imagine going back to DBMMM or FOG now, and I still have all the books and some armies. Based for those systems....Impetus is just so much more fun, and to me, that's what gaming is about, whether it is a friendly or a comp game....

PaulTwister64
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by tico Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:39 am

Impetus popularity is not exactly declining - many people who have tried for example Basic Impetus recently really liked it. Mostly because it is fun, fast and does not reward excessive analysis of geometrical approach lines etc.
tico
tico
VBU 2
VBU 2

http://landandnavy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis Maxentius Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:31 am

All the people that I game with apart from a few diehard FOG and DBM players have converted to Impetus. I first got the rules when they came out but had a hard time getting anyone to play Impetus but I have now managed to convert at least a dozen Ancients players to playing Impetus on a regular basis and at least another 5-6 on an irregular basis. And that's saying something because there were almost no Ancients players left at the clubs I attend.

I had a very long hiatus from Ancients gaming but Impetus has reinvigorated my interest and our club has just finished running a Competition interstate.

I rate Impetus very highly. The rules provide a very historical feel for the nature of a battle. Seems that if you use the armies as they were historically, then it works well.

Dennis
Dennis Maxentius
Dennis Maxentius
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by GamesPoet Mon May 04, 2015 7:30 pm

We have a small group of players in a regional area of the U.S. that have picked up Impetus, and we run a very friendly and loosely organized tourney at a local convention.  This is done more to get in some games with a rules system that we enjoy, with people we enjoy, and with a rules system that has been easy to learn, while not requiring the heavy feel of the "Field of Glory" system.  Plus most of us enjoy creating the mini diorama like scenes on our bases for 25/28mm figures, as well as the appeal of being able to paint up a minimal number of figures to be involved with the game.

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Mon May 04, 2015 10:41 pm

GamesPoet wrote:We have a small group of players in a regional area of the U.S. that have picked up Impetus, and we run a very friendly and loosely organized tourney at a local convention.  This is done more to get in some games with a rules system that we enjoy, with people we enjoy, and with a rules system that has been easy to learn, while not requiring the heavy feel of the "Field of Glory" system.  Plus most of us enjoy creating the mini diorama like scenes on our bases for 25/28mm figures, as well as the appeal of being able to paint up a minimal number of figures to be involved with the game.
Great to hear and all good reasons. Another FoG convert .... haha nice one is there anyone left playing FoG anymore ? What a Face
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Noss Calavera Mon May 04, 2015 11:19 pm

GamesPoet wrote:We have a small group of players in a regional area of the U.S. that have picked up Impetus, and we run a very friendly and loosely organized tourney at a local convention.  This is done more to get in some games with a rules system that we enjoy, with people we enjoy, and with a rules system that has been easy to learn, while not requiring the heavy feel of the "Field of Glory" system.  Plus most of us enjoy creating the mini diorama like scenes on our bases for 25/28mm figures, as well as the appeal of being able to paint up a minimal number of figures to be involved with the game.

What region? I am playing Impetus with a buddy in Florida but have not found many others that play Impetus.

Noss Calavera
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by GamesPoet Tue May 05, 2015 2:41 am

Tarty wrote:Great to hear and all good reasons. Another FoG convert .... haha nice one is there anyone left playing FoG anymore ? What a Face
Actually, I have very little experience with FoG. There is a friend of mine who uses the rules system for convention style gaming, particularly the Renaissance era, but not in a competive nature, and I'll play in his games from time to time because I like what he does, and that he knows the rules so well that I can trust him to run a good game. But it is what I call a "heavy" rules set with more complication than I prefer.

Also, one of the nice things about Impetus is I can take most of the basing systems I have and convert them to it with out rebasing. I tend to use 4cm x 4cm and 6cm x 3cm for a good number of rules. Suspect that most of my Renaissance figures will be convertible to the finalizing of Baroque.

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by GamesPoet Tue May 05, 2015 2:51 am

Noss Calavera wrote:What region? I am playing Impetus with a buddy in Florida but have not found many others that play Impetus.
Not Florida, and not even close. Don't give up on it. It takes time to find folks to play new systems like Impetus.

There are few folks playing the By Fire and Sword system yet in the States as well. And even fewer playing it in 25/28mm (it was originally set up for 15mm). It's a process.

Keep at it, and eventually something will break. Some one will see you playing it at a game day, or a convention, and the next thing ya know, ya got another player.

Three years ago Huzzah! had it's first Impetus "tourney", and I recall there were 4 players. I didn't sign up because I didn't have an army to use, but I watched it, and it looked fun. So around that time I found some Assyrians significantly on sale and bought a bunch to make an army. Never really commited the time to finishing it, and so last year I watched again (I'm as entertained watching as I am playing). This year I'm borrowing a friend's Persian army (although I'm doing up a couple of units), and going to have some fun playing the games. : )

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2