impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» B class warriors.
Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges EmptyFri Sep 06, 2024 3:32 pm by Hope

» Difficult terrain and melee
Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges EmptyTue Sep 03, 2024 4:29 am by armstp

» Impetus Whatsapp
Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges EmptySun Aug 25, 2024 10:30 am by jorneto

» Trojan list
Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges EmptyThu Aug 15, 2024 12:04 pm by jorneto

» FP vs. FL in melee
Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges EmptyTue Aug 06, 2024 4:12 pm by jorneto

» Anyone playing King David
Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 5:16 pm by kreoseus

» Smooth&Rifled new edition
Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges EmptySat Jul 13, 2024 12:35 pm by dadiepiombo

» Who to chase?
Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 9:55 am by kenntak

» Dice&Lead magazine
Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges EmptyFri Jun 07, 2024 10:20 am by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges

4 posters

Go down

Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges Empty Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges

Post by grenadiergrandson Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:26 pm

I think this may have been touched on in a previous post but if anyone can confirm I'm doing the following right or wrong that would be great. Heavy and Medium Artillery does seem very mobile in the game for the period ie

A unit of Art B  VBU 1  moves twice into long range ending disordered. It then shoots at a unit of Light Cavalry. So the factors are:

1 (VBU) - 2 (moving) - 1 (disordered) - 1 (v Lt Cav) + 1 (range modifier) = - 2

But then on 6.1.1 above the firing table it says "In case the number of dice is reduced to 0 or less one die is rolled anyway"

So the gun after all that still gets to roll 1 dice? I can't see any other rules affecting artillery.

Also Artillery B seems to have quite a short maximum range of 4BU, equal to long range muskets. I'm thinking of extending that to 8BU with 0 modifier. Any thoughts?

Cheers

grenadiergrandson
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges Empty Re: Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges

Post by stecal Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:25 am

Yes the artillery  ranges are too short and smoothbore muskets have too long a range - should be 2 BU max.  Since the author has moved on the the next shiny thing I don't expect him to go back and review it anytime soon.

Reaction fire with artillery at long and extreme ranges with that "minimum one die" also needs looking at. As written why wouldn't you try to react fire everytime?

stecal
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges Empty Re: Artillery firing factors, final number of dice and ranges

Post by grenadiergrandson Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:16 am

Reaction fire is definitely worth a go!

For Artillery A & B I've been thinking of the following:

Can pivot and fire with - 1 modifier.

Any other move means they can't fire, then need 1 turn to 'form battery' to prepare before they can fire again the following turn (similar to Impetus if I remember rightly).

grenadiergrandson
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by stecal Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:20 pm

The only reason artillery is moving at all is that the ranges are too short. Most battles of this period began with a desultory bombardment but in the game artillery never starts in range.

stecal
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:16 am

The last game we had artillery deployed further forward than the rest of the army, everyone seemed to like this change. Something different, worked well.
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by stecal Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 am

Kind of like the advance deployment in fortifications you had in FOGR? I like it!

stecal
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tankred Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:41 pm

@stecal, @Tarty, after the fourth game with a nearly useless artillery and the strange look of moving artillery in order to try to hit something I chime into your opinion, that Artillery does not feel appropriate.

I think we will go for double ranges for artillery with the same modificators.

In general: When a unit is hit by artillery and is resoving a cohesion test: Does the +2 modificator due to long range also apply? Sounds a little bit strange in my opinion, that a cannon ball fire is less effective within musket ranges.
Tankred
Tankred
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by stecal Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:28 pm

"In general: When a unit is hit by artillery and is resoving a cohesion test: Does the +2 modificator due to long range also apply? Sounds a little bit strange in my opinion, that a cannon ball fire is less effective within musket ranges."  

That is a positive modifier to your critical number, not a penalty!  Vs shooting +1 at short range, +2 at long/extreme.  I.e. VBU of 4 -1 hit +2 for long range = critical number of 5 or less. At short range your critical number is a 4.

stecal
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tankred Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:40 pm

Thanks stecal for correcting that the modifier applies to critical number. In fact, I did not notice the difference. (and I am still not sure if it makes a difference after 10 min of thinking. Feel free to help me out there).

My expectations were, that a cannon could do damage on a P&M at long distance. Calculating the odds showed a different situation. My heavy artillery gets 2 dice, so the odds to hit something should be 33%.

The odds that something other than a disorder happens then are 17%. (VBU6, 1 hit, long Distance +2).

So I guess I should have concentrated my artillery batteries at one point if I want an effect before the enemy is close.

Now to my question: Do you think doubling the distance is enough for improving artillery or should I look at the range modificators to crit. number, too?
Tankred
Tankred
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by stecal Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:57 pm

Doubling the range is all I would do. Artillery in this period has more of a harrasing effect than casualty causing. So mostly disordering. Its not napoleonic.

stecal
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tankred Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 am

@stecal, thanks again for discussing this with me. I will give this a try.
Tankred
Tankred
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down