impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Hit in flank?
Another Baroque ECW AAR EmptyToday at 11:54 am by Hope

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Another Baroque ECW AAR EmptyYesterday at 8:29 am by Zippee

» FP vs. FL in melee
Another Baroque ECW AAR EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Another Baroque ECW AAR EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Another Baroque ECW AAR EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Another Baroque ECW AAR EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Another Baroque ECW AAR EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Another Baroque ECW AAR EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
Another Baroque ECW AAR EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:09 am by kenntak

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Another Baroque ECW AAR

2 posters

Go down

Another Baroque ECW AAR Empty Another Baroque ECW AAR

Post by Fat Wally Tue May 24, 2016 4:09 pm

So here we are for the fourth game of Baroque in as many weeks between myself and Jack. 600 pts with three commanders per side. Previously Jack has only used one commander to get used to the rules. Now we're stepping up a gear. Winning with the initial roll and modified by the Exploration dice again, I chose terrain with Jack moving it after trying to reverse the fact that he had to deploy first. I chose a hill, with two fields of broken ground. I'd also chosen a small wood but Jack removed that. Jack also chose to move both of my fields so that they rested atop the hill making it liable to disorder some troops and preventing me deploying there. Clever boy. I must add that Jack worked out his own army list, commands and deployment. Not bad for an eight year old.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1921_zpsoerwfpwe
Parliamentarian Right wing.  Deployed on the hill, in the broken ground, so Disordered at the start.  Two units of Massed RE with a unit of TR. 7 VDT.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1923_zps7sniogt5
Parliamentarian Centre.  Skippon's redcoat Veteran P&M (Hardened Unit), Merrick's greycoat P&M (Iron Officer), Waller's yellowcoat P&M (Preacher), Artillery C piece (Master Gunner) and S Forlorn Hope. (Well Trained Shooters).  11 VDT
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1924_zpszyhumiaq
Parliamentarian Left.  Two units of Massed RE supported to the rear by a TR unit with Motivated Fighter status, (notice the single mtd figure).  7 VDT.  Army total 25 VDT
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1925_zpsuy6dnfqm
Jack's Royalist left.  His Royal Highness GA Cavaliers (Feared), Gerard's bluecoats and Berkeley's TR, with the baggage deployed behind. 9 VDT.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1926_zpsqpfwexdh
Royalist Centre.  Cornish P&M, GA His Royal Highness and C Class TR in reserve.  8 VDT
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1927_zpsebivdkoq
Royalist Left.  Jack sloped these towards the centre rather giving his plan away as I had to deploy the command opposite after he had.  redcoat P&M, S Forlorn Hope, DR and T Commanded Shot.  8 VDT.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1928_zpslg6fsznx
Our Royalist ne'er do well poses with his army.  It's all smiles for now.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1929_zpsufyy8pog
First moves.  Jack realises his deployment is a bit vulnerable and begins to expand his left flank command.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1930_zpsyqsaolhe
Dragoons march move, fail Discipline test and become disordered.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1932_zpss54p8ucr
Parliamentarian left advances disordered, due to the broken ground they were deployed in at the game start.  There's plenty of time to redress ranks though as the Royalists opposite are shifting their alignment rather than pressing.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1933_zpsrraktboh
Parliamentarian left tentatively moves forwards.  The second line RE expands outwards.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1935_zpsq4on9idt
Royalist centre begins to advance led by the Cornish with levelled pikes.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1938_zpsrzkp9gso
Parliamentarian General on the left, rated as Reliable, rolls a double six for initiative thereby raising his level to that of Expert for the remainder of the game.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1939_zpsobjh8vkb
Tit for tat.  Royalist centre commander also raises his level with a double six initiative roll.  The more observant of you will note the annoying family trait that our opponents will attest to, Jack and I have a tendency to roll high.  Now, in some games this is a GOOD THING.  However, this is not necessarily the case in Baroque (and Impetus for that matter).  Rolling high means you will inflict potential casualties on the enemy and pass most of your Discipline tests.  However, keep that up for Cohesion tests, where you need to roll low, and you'll soon find your units being very brittle and running away forthwith.  As a 'high roller' you'll do well on the attack but once it stalls, or you're on the receiving end, your game plan can seriously become shattered. As a 'low roller' you'll become very demoralised as you fail to hit a thing when shooting, become disorganised when you try to do anything clever with movement and will fail to fight well in combat.  However, rolling low means you'll pass Cohesion tests with ease and so will stand there as a rock defying all attempts to break you.  It takes a very lucky person to roll high when necessary and then roll low when required.  One of the little things I really like about the mechanisms.  The goalposts have shifted somewhat with all the increased use of Special Characteristics for units in Baroque.  This allows re-rolls for certain bum rolls of the dice and somewhat helps the traditional 'high' and/or 'low' rolling player to even out some of the dramatic effects of rolling sixes and ones.  Mind you, you have to spend points on most Special Characteristics.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1941_zpsw4977h1u
See what I mean?  I roll yet another double six for initiative.  This time the commander (Centre) was already Expert so raises his level to Charismatic.  As well as raising his leadership value to 4 he can re-roll one or both initiative dice and pass the initiative to the opponent.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1942_zps7g2x2iea
Royalist centre still coming on, three deep.  Not necessarily a good idea.  The boy’s gotta learn somehow.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1943_zpsh3gdod8f
Parliamentarian centre advances .  Forlorn Hope and artillery slowly edge forward to encourage the enemy to keep coming on.  In this game I planned to try and refuse the centre.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1945_zpsopee7gzw
Parliamentarian Massed RE advance to fire their pistols and carbines by Caracole, but the Royalist GA fail their reaction test and so calmly allow them to approach.  As it was the RE failed to hit a proverbial barn door.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1946_zps7zjjhqpx
Having attempted to react the Royalists now sit rooted to the spot as another Massed RE unit arrives to their front.  They have march moved and are Massed, so need to score 5 or 6 on their discipline dice.  they fail, and so are Disordered.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1947_zpsnokopfdd
They Royalist centre advances with Jack shifting his horse sideways with anticipation that on his right it isn't going terribly well.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1948_zpserccigyw
The Feared Royalist GA of His Royal Highness crash into the disordered Parliamentarian RE who fail to react allowing the enemy to hit them with their 11 attack dice whilst rolling only 4 in response.  I forgot to add the +2 melee modifier for a massed unit.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1949_zpseb1ao2bl

The RE are pushed back and suffer one Permanent casualty.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1950_zpsqxobsf0p
Sneaky move.  A unit of RE slips behind Jack's leading GA unit which has become somewhat over extended.  The RE advance upon the third line TR unit.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1951_zpsevlpuz6q
Face off between the opposing lines.  The RE have already tried and failed to react.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1952_zpsipazpknt
The Parliamentarian Motivated TR interpenetrate their RE comrades-in-arms to face off His Royal highness's GA, who fail their reaction test.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1953_zpsakym3ye6
It's going to get very messy, methinks.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1954_zpspkp5sh9r
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1955_zpsclou2fyq
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1955_zpsclou2fyq
Parliamentarian right.  I take a big risk in march moving my RE (and failing the Discipline test) towards the Royalist Dragoons.  Fortunately they fail to react.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1956_zpsced43wis
In the Royalist centre Jack shift left with his redcoats (disordering them) to allow his Commanded Shot access to the front line.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1957_zpsqsojb4k5
The RE of the left flank shoot at close range at the Royalist Trotters who fail their Cohesion test in spectacular fashion and are routed.  What's more, the Royalist baggage lies temptingly close.  Score 6-0 to the Parliamentarians.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1958_zpspvbkg5ue
Things begin to fall apart on the Royalist right.  HRH Gallopers are exhausted after protracted melee against resolute Roundhead TR.  Score 9-0 to the Parliamentarians.

Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1959_zpsxtfcikc0

Parliamentarian RE of the right flank react movement by enemy redcoats by charging them.  Bold, if somewhat rash.  However both sides begin a protracted combat.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1960_zpssnwkonkc
The Royalist left is rolling with the punches for now.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1961_zpsswyu2qrr
Royalist S Forlorn Hope screen the Cornish but a lucky shot from Skippon's boys, and a failed Cohesion test routs them.  Score 11-0 to Parliament.  However the Cornish fire upon the Parliamentarian redcoats who now fail their cohesion test and become exhausted.  Score 11-3 to Parliament.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1963_zpslskr8nvd
Ahem.  Yet another double six for initiative.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1964_zpszfa9ksuu
Parliamentarian RE of their right flank command engage the enemy Dragoons in combat.  the Dragoons suffer potential casualties, fail another Cohesion test and rout as a result.  Score 15-3
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1965_zpsscyy4ono
The Parliamentarian RE locked in combat with the Royalist redcoats are now joined by the reserve TR who charge the enemy infantry.  Combat is fierce but brief.  the Royalists are routed.  Score now 21-3
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1966_zpsfhumwcon
Raising a cheer the Cornish launch forward into Skippon's boys.  Despite having Iron Officers the redcoats are already exhausted and break in rout.  Score 21-6.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1967_zpso6rsobtj

And they're not finished yet.  The Cornish pursue into the Roundhead artillery routing it too.  Score 21-8
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1969_zpswbg5enn9
Yet another double six for initiative.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1970_zpstq6mehmv
The Parliamentarian RE head for the Royalist baggage and after a brief show of force capture it.  Score now 26-8.  The game is officially up for the King's men but the turn hasn't finished yet.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1971_zpskajdqg7t
The Roundhead TR now rout the exhausted GA of His Royal Highness's.  Score 29-8
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1973_zpsu4bccczn
The flank is wide open.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1973_zpsu4bccczn
Just to rub salt in the wound I now begin to pay attention to the enemy cavalry in the centre.  The game is over.  God in his wisdom ensures victory goes to the Righteous.  A very exciting game which felt much closer than the score indicates.
Another Baroque ECW AAR IMG_1974_zpscjrus14n
I make no apologies for including dice, markers and the occasional hand in the pictures. These are taken during the game and not posed. Most figures 15mm peter Pig, owned and painted by yours truly.

Cheers,

Kev

Fat Wally
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Another Baroque ECW AAR Empty Re: Another Baroque ECW AAR

Post by Zippee Tue May 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Great report Kev and as always lovely figures.

Doesn't stop you being a dastardly cad and bully though Smile

Thoroughly good showing of the staying power of massed RE.

As usual I'll stand by my point that the artillery did nothing but cost you points and VD - useless they are I tell ya!

Hopefully Jack learnt a few lessons and will be back to thrash you next week Smile
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat Wally Tue May 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Cheers mate. We fought this two weeks ago and since then have had two more fantastic games.

Artillery ARE totally useless in our experience except when you place them where you know the enemy have got to pass. That said any enemy worth his salt will realise too and refuse that area. Slightly more useful when shooting at massed targets.

Fat Wally
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Tue May 24, 2016 8:08 pm

And did you get soundly thrashed?
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/