impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» ZOC violation
Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers

+2
Tartty
AncientWarrior
6 posters

Go down

Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers Empty Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers

Post by AncientWarrior Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 am

Greetings gentlemen experts,

Apologize for the varied subject matter, but I was hoping to secure confirmation and clarification before embarking on a planned Impetvs contest.

Question 1: If a unit that is disordered is attacked in the flank, does it lose a VBU point?
7.2.2 sub-rule 1 states that units attacked in the flank are immediately disordered. If a unit already marked disordered is attacked in the flank, would that count as a “double-disorder” and thereby reduce the VBU by 1 for the subsequent melee?

Would there be an additional negative modifier applied to the melee roll due to the “double-disorder”?

Question 2: In section 7.6.4, Pursuit Moves are detailed/explained. I read this as there being two (2) options. The first is having the winner move straight ahead or forward. The second involves the geometry of the imaginary lines and wheeling by the victors and then the pursuit.

Which is the preferred or more accepted procedure?

Question 3: Section 7.8 speaks to the dispersion of skirmishers. If charged from the front and in anything other than difficult ground, skirmishers are dispersed.

But section 5.11.1 provides that skirmishers can evade. It is a free move, a full move to the rear.

So, if I have a unit of slingers and they are charged by some pikemen or legionary infantry on an open plain, I can simply declare that the slingers are evading and move them straight back 8Us, right? Or, are the slingers dispersed by being charged on open terrain?

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

Cheers,
Chris

AncientWarrior
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers Empty Re: Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers

Post by Tartty Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:35 am

Shall do my best Smile
1 No if already disordered it's not cumulative.
2 You can choose either options doesn't seem to be a preferred option. Sometimes a wheel will prevent recontact (increases the distance between the two units)
3 Yes you can declare an evasion but it has to be rolled for now with a discipline test. -2 to the roll for skirmishers trying to evade. Then move them back 8U yes.
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers Empty Re: Flank attacks, pursuit moves, and skirmishers

Post by AncientWarrior Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:51 am

Thanks very much for the clarification.

Was not aware of the amendment re skirmishers and evasion.

Cheers -
Chris

AncientWarrior
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:28 am

Chris, if you have not done yet, download Advanced Impetus that is a pdf that collects clarifications and amendments

http://dadiepiombo.it/pdf/advancedeng2015.pdf
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AncientWarrior Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:48 am

Lorenzo,

Thanks. I do have the latest version. However, I have not found the specific reference to the -2 evasion modifier for skirmishers. Guess I need to do some re-reading this week.

Toying with the idea of drafting a house rule for attacking the flank of an already disordered unit . . .

Thanks again.
Chris

AncientWarrior
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:16 pm

AncientWarrior wrote:Lorenzo,

Thanks. I do have the latest version. However, I have not found the specific reference to the -2 evasion modifier for skirmishers. Guess I need to do some re-reading this week.

Modifiers to Discipline Test require for Evading:
+2 if the evading Unit is CL or S
-1 if the evading Unit is disordered
Units on opportunity don’t need to pass a test to evade

AncientWarrior wrote: Toying with the idea of drafting a house rule for attacking the flank of an already disordered unit . . .

How does the current rule not work properly in your opinion?
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:09 am

[quote="Gaius Cassius"]
AncientWarrior wrote:
AncientWarrior wrote: Toying with the idea of drafting a house rule for attacking the flank of an already disordered unit . . .

How does the current rule not work properly in your opinion?

I would be wary of changing that as the knock on implications would have to be thought through - for instance does that casualty count towards the result of the mellee and therefore the "everyone dies" clause?

Just a thought
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:43 am

AncientWarrior wrote:
Toying with the idea of drafting a house rule for attacking the flank of an already disordered unit
Chris

Bear in mind that one of the important aspects of Impetus is consequences.

Troops can fight like mad pricks despite being smashed from pillar to post in traditional "hits inflicted" terms if they pass cohesion tests.

Troops hit on the flank have a greatly reduced chance of doing so, their opponent gets a couple of bonus dice and then if the dice pool and cohesion test determines that the flanked troops suffer more casualties their morale breaks and they run away.

No matter how strong they were at the start of the fatal melee.

Methinks that is a consequential penalty commensurate with being flanked, we don't need to stack the odds even further.

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by AncientWarrior Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:29 am

Hmmm - Tarty says that it's a minus 2 to the skirmishers trying to evade, while GC informs that it's a plus 2 for skirmishers trying to evade.

Find it somewhat ironic that there is such an apparent backlash when folks suggest or think about toying with rule amendments for their own table tops - and yet we're on what? - version 1.7 of the amendments - and an official 2nd edition of Impetvs is coming out soon.

Should have learned my lesson after saying something about the elephant rules.

Have learned it now.

AncientWarrior
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:17 pm

AncientWarrior wrote:Hmmm - Tarty says that it's a minus 2 to the skirmishers trying to evade, while GC informs that it's a plus 2 for skirmishers trying to evade.
Sorry my typo...+2 GC is correct.
Go for it Chris change the flank rules and let us know how it goes  ....think it's healthy for things to be questioned and new rules tried. Version 1.7 of the amendments and Impetus 2 around the corner this is what a 'living breathing' set of rules looks like isn't it ? Smile
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Tarty wrote:
AncientWarrior wrote:Hmmm - Tarty says that it's a minus 2 to the skirmishers trying to evade, while GC informs that it's a plus 2 for skirmishers trying to evade.
Sorry my typo...+2 GC is correct.
Go for it Chris change the flank rules and let us know how it goes  ....think it's healthy for things to be questioned and new rules tried. Version 1.7 of the amendments and Impetus 2 around the corner this is what a 'living breathing' set of rules looks like isn't it ? Smile

Good point - try it and see.
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:31 pm

My only issue with your past suggestions Chris for making house rules etc. is that they seem to be based on very limited play.

We tend to only make house rules when we see a problem in the rules. What problem do you see with the current flank rules?
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down