impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Evasion playsheet
Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I EmptyYesterday at 8:31 am by kenntak

» Unit with Long spear etc contacted flank or rear
Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I EmptyYesterday at 1:08 am by Sun of York

» 7.7.2 the Loss of Melee effect on Friendly Units
Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I EmptyTue Sep 17, 2024 2:12 pm by dadiepiombo

» Oblique Moves and Groups
Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I EmptyTue Sep 17, 2024 2:07 pm by dadiepiombo

» B class warriors.
Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I EmptyMon Sep 16, 2024 8:45 am by jorneto

» Ruler with 40mm Bases
Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I EmptyWed Sep 11, 2024 8:29 am by kenntak

» Difficult terrain and melee
Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I EmptyTue Sep 03, 2024 4:29 am by armstp

» Impetus Whatsapp
Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I EmptySun Aug 25, 2024 10:30 am by jorneto

» Trojan list
Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I EmptyThu Aug 15, 2024 12:04 pm by jorneto

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I

3 posters

Go down

Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I Empty Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I

Post by kenntak Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:29 am

In Appendix I Strategic and Tactical Cards, the rules state the following:

To keep it simple the Player chooses before each game the cards he prefers (according to budget) discarding 2 Tactical Cards for a Strategic Card.

I am not sure what that sentence means regarding discarding cards.
kenntak
kenntak
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I Empty Re: Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I

Post by Gaius Cassius Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:54 pm

You buy tactical cards and then for any battle you can exchange 2 tactical cards for a strategic card if you want one. So imagine that you spend 12 points for 4 tactical cards on your list. You could then hand two of those cards in at the very beginning of the game before set up and take a strategic card in its place.

As an aside, we tried the tactical cards and gave them up. The concept is good but we found two issues.

1. Some of the cards were not well thought out.

2, It slowed the game further. Since Impetus 2 plays slower than Impetus 1 the cards made the new game even slower.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I Empty Re: Tactical and Strategic Cards - Appendix I

Post by kenntak Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks Gaius, that makes sense.

Just curious, which particular cards do you have issues with?
kenntak
kenntak
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:46 pm

kenntak wrote:

Just curious, which particular cards do you have issues with?

All of them! Very Happy To be honest it has been so long since we used them that I can't exactly remember. I think we generally found them gimmicky and as I said it just delayed things. We decided to "man up" and accept the power of the dice to rule our Impetus lives. The only test that matters really in the end is the CT everything else is pretty much irrelevant. We do allow Genius commanders to have a Strategy Card (as a perk.)
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

kenntak likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurelius Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:35 am

Just to say that I quite like the Tactical cards as a way of adding more colour to otherwise generic troop types. Although I take GC's point that they may slow the game slightly.

I see them as part of a background narrative. For example, TC4 'Storm of Arrows' would represent the extra arrow supplies the Parthian commander organised for Carrhae. Maybe TC5 'Iron Discipline' for Sula's elite legions. Or simply a rousing speech before the battle, TC7 'Motivated Troops'.

If I was organising a competition I'd probably suggest they not be used, just another complexity in a tight schedule. But they can be fun.

Aurelius
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by kenntak Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:06 pm

That's exactly what I did with Storm of Arrows in creating my Carrhae scenario. It was necessary to balance the points, because the Romans had a lot of troops. It worked great, and resulted in a very interesting battle which the Parthians won. However, it was a pretty evenly matched game on the standard battlefield size. It would not have been as close if the battlefield was twice the size, because it would have allowed the Parthians more space to maneuver, and to shoot and run away.
kenntak
kenntak
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down