impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» ZOC violation
Interpenetration from the front EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Interpenetration from the front EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Interpenetration from the front EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Interpenetration from the front EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Interpenetration from the front EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Interpenetration from the front EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Interpenetration from the front EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Interpenetration from the front EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Interpenetration from the front EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Interpenetration from the front

5 posters

Go down

Interpenetration from the front Empty Interpenetration from the front

Post by RogerC Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:26 pm

The first bullet point of rule 5.7.1 says that an interpenetrated unit may be forced to move forward when interpenetrated from the front and the interpenetrating unit doesn't have enough movement to pass completely through. At first sight, this seems sensible, but has some odd effects when multiple interpenetration are involved.

Suppose there are CL(A), a CM and CL(B), one behind the other. CL(B) moves forward, interpenetrating and passing through the CM and stops on CL(A). CL (B) is now in front of the CM and using the second bullet point of 5.7.1, CL(A) must move back. By wording earlier in the rule, it is placed behind CL(B) once CL(B) has completed its movement. But in doing so, it moves onto the CM. Since the CM is interpenetrated from the front, it moves forward. That takes it onto CL(B) which is forced back, interpenetrating CL(A) from the front, which is forced forward.... An impossible loop of actions occurs.

We played it that, when CL(A) moves back, it moves far enough to get behind the CM, as that at least stops the loop, even if it isn't really in line with 5.7.1 and is closer to what would happen in 'full' Impetus. Can anyone see an alternative?

There is then another oddity. After CL(B) has moved to the front, it can use its second move to move back onto the CM, which clearly is frontal interpenetration and so moves the CM forward. Thus the CM may be advanced for virtually the entire base depth of CL(B) without the CM being activated. The CM could, for example, be advanced so it moves to within shooting or charge range of an enemy unit to its front.

This latter advancing of a unit without activation caused a bit of surprise at the tournament on Saturday, but I can't see that it is wrong. Have I missed something?

RogerC

RogerC
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Interpenetration from the front Empty Re: Interpenetration from the front

Post by Zippee Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:27 pm

I disagree that CL(A) interpenetrates the CM - I think CL(B) interpenetrates both CL(A) and the CM going forward and then displaces both CL(A) and CM.

CL(A) pushed the CM back, it is not moving it does not interpenetrate.

As for CL(B) moving forward and then back through the CM, I think that is fine - I'm only really interested in the final positions after the manoeuvre and can justify the CL moving through and around in all kinds of ways. mechanistically it might look odd but holistically it's fine.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerC Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks Zippee. I welcome any solution but I'm not sure I understand your suggestion.

We are agreed that CL(B) interpenetrates the CM and CL(A). If it stops on the footprint of CL(A), as I think it is allowed to do, it has cleared the CM so the CM is not pushed back by CL(B). On the other hand, CL(A) must move back, which it does only when CL(B) has completed its move, following the sentence of 5.7.1 immediately before the first bullet point. CL(A) moves back into the CM as it must move behind CL(B).

I think that means CL(A) interpenetrates the CM from the front. The backwards action of CL(A) is described as a move, and I believe the only move available is for it to be placed behind CL(B). By the first bullet point, I think the CM must then move forwards.

I don't understand why you say CL(A) pushes the CM back. CL(A) can interpenetrate the CM (as it can any mounted except elephants), and the push back of the second bullet point only applies when the interpenetration is from the side/rear. In this case, CL(A) is moving into the CM from the front of the CM, so I think the first bullet point applies. There isn't anything I can see which requires CL(A) to move behind the CM, as it would in 'full' Impetus. 5.7.2 only applies if the movement is a retreat or pursuit.

Neither 'full' Impetus nor Baroque have the 'push forward' of the second bullet point of 5.7.1. It seems new to BI2.

I expect this is just an unintended result of multiple interpenetrations, which individually make sense. As I said, we resolved it by making CL(A) move back till it cleared the CM, as in full Impetus. But if there is something I've missed that causes the CM to be pushed back, so I can keep within BI2, I'd welcome it.

It is good that you are happy with CL moving CM (or even CP) forward, when the CL moves back into the front of the CM. I'm still getting used to the consequences of 'push forwards'.

RogerC

RogerC
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 pm

But CL(A) isn't the moving / activated unit, CL(B) is - all CL(A) is doing is making way for CL(B). It does so by the minimum necessary and any knock-on is also minimal. I don't believe it 'interpenetrates' as a mechanic because it is not moving, we're just shuffling the bases of CL(A) and the CM for CL(B) to complete its move.

Just because the translation describes it as a move doesn't make it an activation - lord how I wish the terminology used was more dependable! A move isn't an activation, an activation can be a move . . . Smile
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerC Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks Zippee. If I've understood correctly, you are saying that the interpenetrating or 'moving' unit in 5.7.1 must be an activated unit. A unit which changes position due to being interpenetrated is not 'moving' for the purposes of this rule, and so does not trigger interpenetration responses from other units it encounters when changing position. An interpenetrated unit is repositioned sufficiently to get it to a position clear of other units, but no more. I can see that gets me out of my difficulty, even if it means giving a special meaning to 'moving' in this rule.

A small difficulty is that the interpenetrating unit in 5.7.2 need not be an activated unit. A pursuing or retreating unit could even belong to the Inactive player. I suppose we just say that 5.7.1 and 5.7.2 are separate. In favour if this is that 5.7.2 doesn't use the term 'moving' at all.

I would be interested to see if others, particularly Lorenzo, are happy with this way of interpreting 'moving'. As you say Zippee, we may be getting troubled by a translation issue.

RogerC

RogerC
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by jeztodd Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi I might be slightly deviating from the exact example you are both discussing ....

BUT just picking up on the 5.7.1 Voluntary Interpenetration page 9 first col / first bullet point reference to "move forward".

I believe a few players reading this, understand this to only apply to the S,T.FL (not impetuous), CL troop categories referred to in the sentence above.

In my rules I have therefore put a pencil line under the third bullet point as these then apply to the S, T, FL and CL categories only.

You can then read the fourth bullet point sentence starting "other units or large units can be interpenetrated if the interpenetrating unit has enough movement to pass entirely through the unit it is interpenetrating ....." as a complete new paragraph. For me using this logic a CM unit can never be "moved forward" as a result of interpenetration.

Looking at the example you specifically refer to - getting a bit lost as don't really use cavalry based armies. Personally it is clear CL (a) moves backwards and it just has to find a space to fit - I would have stuck it behind the CM unit.

Phew this is a difficult thread to follow with too many "rear penetrations" going on ....!

Cheers Jez
jeztodd
jeztodd
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerC Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks Jes. Yes, the terminology we are using is a bit unfortunate.

So, using your interpretation, CL can only interpenetrate CM or CP if the CL can pas completely through, using its second move if necessary. CM and CP never change position when being interpenetrated. Similarly, if FL want to interpenetrate FP, the FL must either have enough movement to pass completely through, or must start in contact as per the last bullet point. The push forward and push back of the first two bullet points only applies to S, T, FL or CL being interpenetrated.

That is consistent, at least, although it is slightly strange to look at five bullet points and say that the first three explain further the interpenetration in the preceding sentence and then last two are about something different. But I mustn't get hung up over punctuation.

That certainly makes 'push forward' less revolutionary than I'd thought. Maybe I've made this more complicated than it should be.

RogerC

RogerC
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by grenadiergrandson Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:54 pm

After the tournament last Saturday and the (very reasonable) discussions that followed I think a line should be drawn between interpenetration for S, CL and T etc and 'Others' that follows several points below. Never mind the CL/CM confusion if you apply the rules as they appear to read a Phalanx will make way for interpenetrating S, that is obviously not right.

Last edited by grenadiergrandson on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

grenadiergrandson
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:32 am

RogerC wrote:A small difficulty is that the interpenetrating unit in 5.7.2 need not be an activated unit. A pursuing or retreating unit could even belong to the Inactive player. I suppose we just say that 5.7.1 and 5.7.2 are separate. In favour if this is that 5.7.2 doesn't use the term 'moving' at all.

I think that a pursuing or retreating unit is still being caused to 'move' - ie it's making an actual, defined movement. They are not being 'displaced' to make way. But, true they may not technically be the 'activating' unit, so that terminology doesn't distinguish them adequately enough - they may perhaps be considered to be 'reacting'?

To my mind the important distinction is between a unit that is being moved in accordance with movement rules, either as defined by activation or caused by combat results and the act of displacing or making way of bases in order for other units to complete their required movement.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:44 am

can you please post a diagram?
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeztodd Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi Lorenzo - can you please comment on the query that the "move forward"just applies to S,T, FL (non impetuous) and CL?

On this thread I think the query was CL (a) , CM , and CL (b) are in a column. CL (b) moves through the CM and lands on top of the CL (a) unit. As this is interpenetration from behind the CL (a) moves back BUT does it end up behind the CM unit or does it push back the CM unit.

Cheers Jez
jeztodd
jeztodd
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:08 am

it doesn't push the CM.
Only S, CL, FL and T can be pushed back.
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 am

So if it doesn't push the CM back or forwards - is the intent that it is just placed behind the CM - I'm happy that that be the case but it's not what the rules appear to say.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:21 pm

rules says:

"4) Light Cavalry can interpenetrate and be interpenetrated by any Mounted with exception of Elephants.
The Army Lists may allow other sorts of interpenetration.
When S, T, FL and CL are interpenetrated, these automatically allow the interpenetration, moving behind the interpenetrating Unit after the movement is completed. "

So it is only S, T, FL and CL to leave space to interpenetrating Units.

dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down