impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» ZOC violation
Baroque terrain placement EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Baroque terrain placement EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Baroque terrain placement EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Baroque terrain placement EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Baroque terrain placement EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Baroque terrain placement EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Baroque terrain placement EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Baroque terrain placement EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Baroque terrain placement EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Baroque terrain placement

+2
Tankred
dadiepiombo
6 posters

Go down

Baroque terrain placement Empty Baroque terrain placement

Post by dadiepiombo Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:54 am

Ok, I share here the terrain placement in Baroque. With minor adjustments it can work for Impetus as well.

2.9 EXPLORATION -DICE
Exploration-Dice (ED) are used during the preparation of the terrain and during the deployment.
Each player has one free ED for use in the exploration phase of terrain preparation. Players can purchase additional EDs, up to a maximum of 10 (11 total with the free one) at a cost of one point for the first five, two points for the next five. Example: the purchase of 8 EDs costs 11 points (5 for the first 5 and 6 for the next 3.)

3.3 PREPARARING THE TERRAIN
Players can arrange and create the terrain as they see fit. The following is just a procedure to prepare the battlefield.
At the start of the game, both players roll the free exploration die (2.9). The player who gets the higher result (First Player) is the one that will position the terrain items on the table being able to choose from a minimum of options equal to its roll to a maximum of 6 options. In case of a tie re-roll the d6, to determine a winner.
The player who loses (Second player) can use another of his exploration-dice (if he has any) and try again to win (and to become First Player). If it fails he cannot re-roll again and must keep the last roll of the die, if he wins, the same opportunity to roll an exploration die is up to the opponent and so on until the players finish the exploration-dice or decide to switch.
The player who wins can choose to use another exploration-die if appropriate (e.g. Because he hopes to have fewer terrain elements to place).
The First Player, who has the task of creating the ground, may choose the items to be placed keeping in mind that:
1) Gentle hills, broken terrain, roads are worth 1 option (2 if out of format item). A maximum of 2 roads can be placed.
2) Steep or wooded hills, difficult terrain, impassable terrains, simple linear obstacles are worth 2 options (3 if out of format item). A maximum of 2 simpler linear obstacles can be placed.
3) The river, other waterways lying at the edge of the table and fields bordered by linear obstacles (whether opened or broken ground) are worth 3 options. Only one of each type can be placed.
The Second Player has as many options to move or remove one or more elements of the terrain based on the number he got in his die roll. If the First Player has placed a river (or other waterway), the Second Player can only remove it and not reposition it.
Example. Andrew and Richard decided to create the ground for their battle. Both roll a d6. Andrew gets a 3 and a Richard 4. Andrew decides to use another exploration-die and still gets a 3. No way, die wasted. In theory, however, he could have a worse result.
It is up to Richard (First Player) to place the terrain items. Having obtained a 4, he can range place from 4 to 6 options. He decides to place a gentle hill (1 option), a forest (2 options) and a river (3 options). Andrew (Second player) got a 3 on his die. He could therefore eliminate the river, or delete or move the hill and/or the forest or leave the terrain as it is.

At the points where a road crosses a river a ford or a bridge must be placed, depending on whether you get an odd or even number with the rolling of a d6.

3.4 DEPLOYMENT
After the preparation of the terrain, it is up to the Second Player to deploy his first command, the one with the highest VDC (9.0). However if he has other Exploration-dice he can roll for this option with the First Player. If the latter does not have other Exploration-dice, he will have to deploy first. If both players have Exploration-dice and provided they want to use them and not for other options (as possible according to the Supplement), they will roll to determine the winner and the loser will be up to deploy first, unless he decides to use another Exploration-die until one player decides or is forced to give way.
If more than one Command has the same VDC the player that controls them chooses which one to deploy first.
After the deployment of the first command, it is up the other player to deploy his biggest (VDC) Command, after which they will proceed alternately and both players will be free to choose which Command to deploy first.
The deployment zone extends up to 4BU from their table edge. No Unit may also be deployed closer than 2BU from the side edges of the playing area.

dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Baroque terrain placement Empty Re: Baroque terrain placement

Post by dadiepiombo Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:04 am

any comments on this? Ideas on how to adapt to Impetus?
Baroque as a unique scale (there is a proportion between Unit of measure and base width), while in Impetus 28mm and 15mm are 2 differente "scales". But apart this, I think this system is more flexible.
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tankred Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:07 am

This is quite a big text for an average outcome of maybe 3 positioned terrain features. I may be wrong on the impact and fun of these rules if they are played correctly but I assume, that many people do not use that intensively.

What could help me a lot is a picture or mockup of what you think is a good and typical example for a Barock gaming table.

When I built my table I found out, that the standard sizes for terrain are not that big and I wonder, what the game is designed for.

If that is more clear I think I get the point better, if the deployment rules are worth using them on a regular basis.
Tankred
Tankred
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurelius Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:08 pm

These rules look interesting, we shall be trying them out in our next game on Friday, (15mm 500pts).

One question;
Red player just has his free ED, Blue has bought an extra ED and has 2. First roll, both players roll 5's therefore need to re-roll. Red player now rolls a 6, blue player rolls 4, therefore Red becomes "first" and Blue "second", and the free dice have been spent. Blue now decides to challenge that result and uses his 2nd dice and rolls a 6. Does Red have to roll his free dice again?

I can see a number of alternative interpretations developing around this idea, all of them workable, but causing confusion when players meet at tournaments.

Aurelius
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:05 pm

It took me several read throughs to understand. Not sure what to make of it. Worth trying.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeztodd Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:43 pm

To be honest I found the outline difficult to follow and would have frustrations if this was going to be copied in Impetus 2.

Just my opinion Jez
jeztodd
jeztodd
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:29 pm

One question;
Red player just has his free ED, Blue has bought an extra ED and has 2. First roll, both players roll 5's therefore need to re-roll. Red player now rolls a 6, blue player rolls 4, therefore Red becomes "first" and Blue "second", and the free dice have been spent. Blue now decides to challenge that result and uses his 2nd dice and rolls a 6. Does Red have to roll his free dice again?

Red Player already used his free ED. Basically Blue Player can re-roll once if he loses.

Maybe text need to be read more than once, but it is easier than one can think.
It solves which terrain you can use ad puts limits. Not every kind of terrain cost the same. A Steep Hill cost more than a gentle hill etc.
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Once you get your head around what's going on we've found it pretty good so far. I think a much more interesting way of placing terrain.
Yes the base width measurements for deployment zones need to be converted to Impetus .....

e.g. 'The deployment zone extends up to 4BU from their table edge. No Unit may also be deployed closer than 2BU from the side edges of the playing area.'

Should read 15U and 12U for 28mm for example
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurelius Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:34 am

Played our first game with this proposal and found it pretty good. Some interesting decisions to be made depending on the two opposing die rolls. Liked it.

As a more general observation on terrain, I would propose another terrain option i.e. Gentle Hill with Broken ground. For visibility (and ambush) purposes a gentle hill, for combat and movement as broken ground.

Aurelius
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm

I think this could be similar to a "steep hill" that is difficult (and not broken) ground.
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down