impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» ZOC violation
Flank support - another q - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Flank support - another q - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Flank support - another q - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Flank support - another q - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Flank support - another q - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Flank support - another q - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Flank support - another q - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Flank support - another q - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Flank support - another q - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Flank support - another q

+4
Tartty
Gaius Cassius
Zippee
Cyrus The Adequate
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Flank support - another q - Page 3 Empty Re: Flank support - another q

Post by starkadder Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:06 pm

How many angels can fit on the head of a six-sided die? 

Once again, these discussions lurch into the teleological.

What if, just what if, this whole approach is flawed?

Most infantry, particularly close order, cannot see much around them. They can feel the push from behind and the threat from in front. The flanks are nice to know about if you are also on the edge of whatever column of mob you choose to adopt but do not overly concern you. 

Beyond initial deployment you are largely in your own world - personal and group. 

There may be an argument to be made for multiple pressures affecting the unit being approached or that is in melee. Rather than a +1 for the attacking unit, perhaps a -1 to the unit under a multiple threat?

This is not a real suggestion, by the way. Just an attempt to move this thing along because it is, frankly, tedious.
starkadder
starkadder
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire in the sun Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:18 am

Zippee wrote:
Empire in the sun wrote:
Cyrus The Adequate wrote:You don't get the +1 flank support - still get the additional half combat dice where appropriate.

Taking into account the above, the wording and Lorenzos explanation it does make sense, personally I see no need to play it otherwise.

That's an argument for dispensing with flank support entirely. It's utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Of course you get the support dice - but to argue that the unit fighting hard alongside you against the same enemy doesn't also protect your flank because you distrust it on some notion that it belongs to another command whilst a unit in the same command would support your flank even if not in combat with same enemy is arrant [sic] nonsense.

I simply support the notion that that the +1 to encourage group action under the guise of "flank protection" from the same command is a reasonable proposition.

If you have a problem with the rules man up and direct it at the person you have it with instead of using me as your proxy whipping boy.   Mad

Last edited by Empire in the sun on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:08 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : only a fool gives a fool the time of day)
Empire in the sun
Empire in the sun
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire in the sun Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:24 am

starkadder wrote:How many angels can fit on the head of a six-sided die? 

Once again, these discussions lurch into the teleological.

What if, just what if, this whole approach is flawed?

Most infantry, particularly close order, cannot see much around them. They can feel the push from behind and the threat from in front. The flanks are nice to know about if you are also on the edge of whatever column of mob you choose to adopt but do not overly concern you. 

Beyond initial deployment you are largely in your own world - personal and group. 

There may be an argument to be made for multiple pressures affecting the unit being approached or that is in melee. Rather than a +1 for the attacking unit, perhaps a -1 to the unit under a multiple threat?

This is not a real suggestion, by the way. Just an attempt to move this thing along because it is, frankly, tedious.

Very, thank you Starkers for putting it in to perspective as only you can do.

Last edited by Empire in the sun on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : blood pressure)
Empire in the sun
Empire in the sun
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:58 am

Empire in the sun wrote: I simply support the notion that that the +1 to encourage group action under the guise of "flank protection" from the same command is a reasonable proposition.

Flank support was originally brought in by Lorenzo to rebalance Impetus with respect to large units. With the +1 flank support bonus linear armies are given a better chance against armies with large units. Flank support also adds an incentive for units to move and fight in groups. In simple terms flank support is a means and not an end in Impetus. As such the particulars are open for discussion. I don't dispute with you Empire that limiting units in the same command to the bonus is a reasonable proposition. I hope that you would agree that expanding this condition to units of other commands is equally reasonable.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:05 am

Empire in the sun wrote: Very, thank you Starkers for putting it in to perspective as only you can do.

Actually I don't really understand why someone posts comments like starkadders above in topics that are as tedious as he says they are. If this topic has become this tedious then the best solution to my thinking is simply to stop reading any further comments (hopefully starkadder has already heeded this advice and will never read this comment!) Very Happy
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire in the sun Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:08 am

Gaius Cassius wrote:
Empire in the sun wrote: I simply support the notion that that the +1 to encourage group action under the guise of "flank protection" from the same command is a reasonable proposition.

Flank support was originally brought in by Lorenzo to rebalance Impetus with respect to large units. With the +1 flank support bonus linear armies are given a better chance against armies with large units. Flank support also adds an incentive for units to move and fight in groups. In simple terms flank support is a means and not an end in Impetus. As such the particulars are open for discussion. I don't dispute with you Empire that limiting units in the same command to the bonus is a reasonable proposition. I hope that you would agree that expanding this condition to units of other commands is equally reasonable.

Of course it is ol'boy, however I'm not particularly open to being the target of ire that should/could be better directed, or preferably, not used at all.

Empire in the sun
Empire in the sun
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:18 am

I agree that we should be kind to each other. We have a common enjoyment and appreciation of a really great game. Impetus has rekindled an enjoyment of ancients for me and my group that was lost years ago. If we dispute specifics it is only because we love the game so much.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3