impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» ZOC violation
Some newbie questions  EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Some newbie questions  EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Some newbie questions  EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Some newbie questions  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Some newbie questions  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Some newbie questions  EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Some newbie questions  EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Some newbie questions  EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Some newbie questions  EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Some newbie questions

+2
Granicus Gaugamela
frankom89
6 posters

Go down

Some newbie questions  Empty Some newbie questions

Post by frankom89 Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:27 am

Hi first i would like to introduce.. im new, im from argentina (sory for my english). I have just started to play adv. imp. weekly with my friends (a-a-w.com.ar/), and after every play we discover we had made something wrong! jajja.
here i have some doubts i would like you to help us please (sory if they are stupid) thanks.
1)
Some newbie questions  AamPxyp
2)
Some newbie questions  NiYpdqO
3)
Some newbie questions  HxRAcQz
4)
Some newbie questions  XTvNi51
5)
Some newbie questions  Q8rUCUo

frankom89
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Some newbie questions  Empty Re: Some newbie questions

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Question 1: You pivot/wheel up to your maximum distance with the corner that moves. That is all you can do, you do not get to use any remaining portion of movement to go straight ahead.

Your example A is correct.

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Question set 2

The CM, being on opportunity, can charge at any point during the active player's movement.

The active player can never evade, only the inactive/passive player can evade.

If the CM are NOT on Opportunity then they can only charge if the fire come from within their ZoC.

They can evade against any fire that comes in through any part of their frontal projection so any firing that even remotely crosses the ZoC you have drawn allows them to evade.

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Question 3 I'm not certain what you're asking, but if shortbow B are at a range of 30U then they are out of range against any infantry target.

If the actual range is within 15U after the movement then your calculation is correct and the end number is 0 dice so they cannot fire. It is only in melee that you get a minimum of 1 dice.

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:59 pm

Question 4 I'm uncertain of your question.

A charge ends when either

1) you contact the enemy

2) if you try and contact the enemy but you do not roll sufficient charge bonus distance to make contact then you move as far as the movement allowance and charge bonus allow, you stop there and you are disordered.

3) If the unit evades your potential charge then that action becomes a normal movement action and you must move at least as far forward as the initial position of the evading unit. You can then, provided you pass any required discipline test, make a subsequent move which may also be a potential charge on the same unit.

Last edited by Granicus Gaugamela on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update on condition 3 as supplied by GC)

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:04 pm

Question 5: Assuming you keep the wheel/pivot and the movements separate (in your diagram you need to wheel on a front corner) then the CM will wheel toward the enemy and then move directly toward him.

Given the charge is heading directly toward the target unit they CANNOT fire when the CM enter their ZoC unless they re on Opportunity (not indicated).

It appears the S have evaded in the last frame of the diagram which is certainly allowed, that would mean the CM do a Potential Charge, if the S evade far enough back to get out of the way then that Potential Charge becomes a regular move and the CM, if they pass their discipline test, can make another potential charge toward the S, who an then choose to evade again (assuming they pass their test).

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:26 pm

I think question 4 is asking where the charge stops when the unit being charged evades. In that case, the charge move is converted to a normal move and the advancing unit must move at least as far as to occupy the ground of the evading unit and can move up to its full movement distance.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Gaius Cassius wrote:I think question 4 is asking where the charge stops when the unit being charged evades. In that case, the charge move is converted to a normal move and the advancing unit must move at least as far as to occupy the ground of the evading unit and can move up to its full movement distance.

Good point. Post updated.

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by frankom89 Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Excelent you answer all thanks you very much granicus! Also im happy you understand what de doubt was perfect.
I only have one doubt left.. In example 2. When you do an oportunity charge against S, can S shoot before being dispersed? ( If it could... Do it have any penalize? Which distance do you use for the final fire?) thanks again

frankom89
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:40 pm

frankom89 wrote:Excelent you answer all thanks you very much granicus! Also im happy you understand what de doubt was perfect.
I only have one doubt left.. In example 2. When you do an oportunity charge against S, can S shoot before being dispersed? ( If it could...  Do it have any penalize? Which distance do you use for the final fire?) thanks again

You ask a good question. I haven't seen this scenario very often because normally someone would not advance an S unit against an enemy CM on Opportunity to within 12 or 13U. In looking at 7.8 it seems to me that the S unit would get what is called a "death throw" if the CM opportunity charged beyond Point Blank range.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by frankom89 Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:35 pm

we were playing germanic against romans and both had our cavalry in the same flank. so the germans sent an S of javalin to rush against roman CM.
As you just told its allowed to make a "death throw" then from my point of view is a good strategy if they have the chance to make at least 1 kill or do disorder throwing 5 dices before suicide jaja!! and soon after you make a charge with the germanic CM behind. i will use it!
thanks both

Last edited by frankom89 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

frankom89
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by frankom89 Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:41 pm

6)
A player advance his FL impetuous against my FP.
By mistake, because he is a new player, he enter my ZOC. (instead of staying outside and charge in a 2d movemnt)

Can i ask an oportunity charge? (if i was not in oportunity?)
And if i were, and charge, can he ask for a counter charge? (being him the active player)

frankom89
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 am

frankom, don't forget that the S "death throw" uses the Short Range ratings and not the Point Blank ratings. So no 5 dice. Probably 2 or 3. And you'll find that throwing away S can add quickly to your command routing.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by frankom89 Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:05 pm

sory im being annoying... but i try to find "death throw" in the rules and cant find it. So i will bother you again with this examples please.
Some newbie questions  C3pVkkJ

frankom89
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:55 pm

I put "death throw" in quotations because that is what we call it. It is not an Impetus term and you will not find it in the rules. Probably a better term is dispersal shot.

Remember, the CM contacts the S and automatically disperses the S. The S is removed but may fire at short range provided the charger did not start with the Point Blank range or the Skirmishers did not move into the charging unit's ZOC and provoked the opportunity charge. It is all in 7.8.  

A. Yes, gets dispersal shot at short range.
B. S fires at Point Blank Range (shoots at the middle of the closest edge which is 4U.)
C. S fires at Point Blank range and the CM opportunity charges and disperses the S (no dispersal shot.)
D. S can either evade or be dispersed (no dispersal shot allowed because charge begins within the PB range of the S unit.)

I have lost many a game because I was cavalier with VD. Throwing away S is a good way to lose a game. There are times, however, when sacrificing an S is a good idea and that it what makes Impetus so fun.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by frankom89 Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:58 am

Again thanks a lot! I believe there wont be any other doubts about how to of s. I hope i have no more questions about something else for long (you deserve some time jjaj)

frankom89
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:10 am

Can I go back to q1 and point out that Impetuous troops that are out of control do - and indeed must, wheel in the direction of the nearest qualifying enemy and move as per your diagram 1B. "Normal" units do not
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Good reminder Cyrus. The diagram and commentary was around CM wheeling so I think GG and I took the question literally. Since there aren't any impetuous CM in Impetus neither of us worried about it.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveI42 Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:35 am

Cyrus The Adequate wrote:Can I go back to q1 and point out that Impetuous troops that are out of control do - and indeed must, wheel in the direction of the nearest qualifying enemy and move as per your diagram 1B. "Normal" units do not
Im a bit rusty on the rules but: I agree if they wheel in that situation that is how they do it however I thought they also had the option to advance straight forward. If so that would make the "indeed must" part of the reply incorrect. Sorry in advance if I've got that wrong

SteveI42
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:27 am

This be what the rules say:

5.3 - When activated, Out of Control troops must move at least one full movement phase straight ahead.

5.3 - Apart from Scythed Chariots, Impetuous troops may perform a free wheel before their compulsory movement...but only in the direction of the closest enemy [exceptions] or in a direction chosen to avoid Difficult or Impassable ground

Amendment to Paragraph 5.3. The free wheel allowed to impetuous troops in order to point towards the closest enemy or to avoid Difficult or Impassable ground is now subtracted from the movement. This initial wheel is not an autonomous movement phase and so can be combined with a straight movement, but the total distance covered cannot exceed the maximum speed allowed for the unit in a movement phase.

So it's quite clear that any wheeling of Out of Control Impetuous troops is optional not mandatory
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:44 am

Yup - my bad - I was trying to explain that they have to make the whole of their movement distance including the wheel when wheeling to face rather than the wheel itself being manditory
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:28 am

I didn't notice the word "must" in Cyrus' answer or I too would have happily joined in his flogging. Very Happy

As it stands, I must share his shame in carelessly promoting false understandings of the rules!
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:11 am

Apologies wasn't intending it to feel like a flogging.

Just wanted to be crystal clear - future searches for newbie questions and all that.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down