impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» ZOC violation
Displacing Opportunity Marked troops EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Displacing Opportunity Marked troops EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Displacing Opportunity Marked troops EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Displacing Opportunity Marked troops EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Displacing Opportunity Marked troops EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Displacing Opportunity Marked troops EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Displacing Opportunity Marked troops EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Displacing Opportunity Marked troops EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Displacing Opportunity Marked troops EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Displacing Opportunity Marked troops

+5
Cyrus The Adequate
starkadder
Zippee
Tartty
Gaius Cassius
9 posters

Go down

Displacing Opportunity Marked troops Empty Displacing Opportunity Marked troops

Post by Gaius Cassius Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:15 am

When a unit is marked on opportunity but is displaced by a friendly unit does it lose its opportunity status? We had an S unit marked on opportunity and the S unit was displaced by a friendly CL. The S unit moved behind the CL. Does the S stay on opportunity? This was a hard call for us because displacement is technically not considered movement as per the rules. Still the S did move to a new location on the table top.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Displacing Opportunity Marked troops Empty Re: Displacing Opportunity Marked troops

Post by Tartty Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:22 am

What a good question ! How come this has never come up before ? Laughing ....amazing. My guess is they would lose their opportunity status but interested to hear what others think.
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Displacing Opportunity Marked troops Empty Re: Displacing Opportunity Marked troops

Post by Zippee Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:53 am

I think it's an abstraction caused by base sizes. I would leave the unit on opportunity unless the interpenetration caused disorder of course. That's the dividing point and is mostly voluntary as against involuntary
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post by starkadder Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:18 am

Definitely lose the Opportunity. 

It is an action, that's it.
starkadder
starkadder
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Being interpenetrated isn't an action. The displacement is an artefact of some other unit's activation.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:21 pm

We took away the opportunity status but upon further reflection I am leaning towards Zippee's point of view. But I can see it both ways.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by starkadder Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Zippee wrote:Being interpenetrated isn't an action.

Tell that to the unit being interpenetrated. 
Files open and close, ranks reform. It's an action,
starkadder
starkadder
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:47 am

starkadder wrote: Tell that to the unit being interpenetrated. 
Files open and close, ranks reform. It's an action,

According to the rules displacement isn't movement. There is the rub. But I do get your point.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:58 am

It's a tricky one ....just how disruptive would this sort of action be ? I certain amount of 'reordering' would have to take place but is it enough to take their opportunity status off them?
Troop type might be different also S's and CL's might not be effected so much but what about T's or FL's ?
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 am

GC said it was displaced, not interpenetrated, so it clearly HAS moved, so no opportunity
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:14 am

No the displacement is an artefact of figures on bases. The unit shouldn't really move but we can't put bases on top of each other.

You are saying if a unit moves entirely through its fine but if it can't clear it's not. Wether the interpenetrated unit loses opportunity can't depend on base size. That's plain silly.

If being interpenetrated was an action then the unit wouldn't get an activation afterwards would it. But it does so it can't be an action. Therefore it doesn't lose opportunity because it hasn't conducted an action.

Now we could change the rules to say that being interpenetrated by non S counts as being activated but it would be a big change. You'd see a lot less interpenetration close to the enemy, that's for sure!
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerC Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:58 am

I'm with Zippee on this one. The interpenetrated unit hasn't been activated, so shouldn't lose its opportunity status.

I suppose the unit on opportunity has been told to 'watch out over there for enemy action'. Some friendly unit comes by and is allowed to pass through. However, as soon as that has happened, the unit on opportunity resumes its watch. Even if it has moved back a bit it'll still be watching, since it hasn't been told (activated) to do anything else.

RogerC

RogerC
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:48 pm

RogerC wrote:I'm with Zippee on this one. The interpenetrated unit hasn't been activated, so shouldn't lose its opportunity status.

I suppose the unit on opportunity has been told to 'watch out over there for enemy action'. Some friendly unit comes by and is allowed to pass through. However, as soon as that has happened, the unit on opportunity resumes its watch. Even if it has moved back a bit it'll still be watching, since it hasn't been told (activated) to do anything else.

RogerC

Not sure that follows - loss of opportunity is not just dependant on action but also circumstance - if a unit is disordered by enemy action it loses opportunity. It follows (surely) that if displaced it also loses opportunity? What if the unit causing the displacement were something more substantial than a LH like a panicked EL?
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:00 pm

I think you've nailed 'the elephant in the room' here Cyrus Smile I'm leaning towards loss of opportunity myself.
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:29 am

The rules states that disorder cancels opportunity (or probably more accurately a disordered unit cannot be on opportunity.)

In the case of Panicked Elephants (6.2.2) it states that units met by the retreating elephant take a VBU loss and suffer disorder (which automatically cancels the opportunity.) So it isn't the displacement of the unit that causes the opportunity loss but the disorder.

As I said above, I am inclined to Zippee's take on this subject but can see both sides.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:25 am

Nothing says that units on opportunity just stand rooted to the ground. They can be performing all kind of micro manoeuvres within the unit footprint and allowing other troops to move through their position in an orderly manner is well within that.

A unit loses opportunity, if it takes an opportunity action, is disordered or is activated to do something else. Those are the only factors that suspend the opportunity status. The rules are very clear on this.

Being interpenetrated does not disrupt the unit (except where noted) if it doesn't disorder it can't knock units off opportunity.

Displacement us not movement or an action it's an abstraction made necessary by bases.

You need to make the case for ALL interpenetration to cancel opportunity (and if it's enough to do that it should cause disorder). You cannot just pick on displacement due to base size.

Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Very good question and very strange that it was never raised before.
I must confess that I see both points of view make sense. Both have pros and cons.

I think anyway that is better to stay strict to the text that says that opportunity is lost only if you act or you are disordered.
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:03 am

Ok that's pretty straight forward then
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by GamesPoet Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Hmmm ... interesting.

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire in the sun Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:50 pm

One must remember that base depth is completely out scale when compared to frontage and up to a point the TT displacement is a factor of this necessary oddity. Of course if we were to play with 2mm figures our frontage to depth would be more in line with reality.

Could we, for instance, say that if the displacement is more than half of the displacing units (CL) depth then the displaced unit has been forced to move with the accompanying penalty? A simple house rule.
Empire in the sun
Empire in the sun
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:54 am

Empire in the sun wrote:
Could we, for instance, say that if the displacement is more than half of the displacing units (CL) depth then the displaced unit has been forced to move with the accompanying penalty? A simple house rule.

I'm afraid that just moves the goal post - either interpenetration is a cause to cease opportunity or not. Displacement due to Base Depth (even if halved, quartered, octoned, whatever) is irrelevant.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire in the sun Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:07 am

I would prefer to go as written in the rules and be done with it, the above was just a thought.
Are we looking at interpenetration or displacement as I'm only considering pushed back as being a result of the scale issue regarding the depth of a base, which the rules, as written, seem to suggest.
Empire in the sun
Empire in the sun
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down