impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» ZOC violation
Who is an activated unit EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Who is an activated unit EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Who is an activated unit EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Who is an activated unit EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Who is an activated unit EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Who is an activated unit EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Who is an activated unit EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Who is an activated unit EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Who is an activated unit EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is an activated unit

3 posters

Go down

Who is an activated unit Empty Who is an activated unit

Post by 1ngram Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:30 pm

We thought we had the rules pat but in a recent battle a newbie caused us palpitations when we couldn't defend our interpretation of the following.

After the previous turn Persian unit A was left in contact with Macedonian Unit 1 but only touching for a small part of their respective frontages. Persian unit B was now activated and charged Macedonian unit 1 along a large part of its frontage. Persian unit B was thus the main unit and counted Persian unit A as a supporting unit. Macedonian unit 1 was defeated and retreated 5U. Persian unit B pursued only 3U and thus was no longer in contact with the Macedonian unit at the end of its pursuit. Persian unit A, as a supporting unit, could not pursue

Now the Persian player said he would activate Persian unit A, the one which had been the support unit, and charge Macedonian unit 1. We said that having already taken part in a melee as a supporting unit where Persian unit B had been the main unit it had thus been activated and could not be activated again by charging. He asked where that was explicitly stated in the rules and, to our collective chagrin, we could not justify our interpretation from our reading of the rules.

So, have we been doing this wrong all these years?

Help!

1ngram
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Who is an activated unit Empty Re: Who is an activated unit

Post by Nikephorous Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:44 am

Hi,

In the "full fat" version of the rules, section 7.6.5  it reads as follows:

"A, the active player's Unit, attacks B, the inactive player's Unit and melee ensues. If B has not already been activated that turn then, once activated, it will fight with A again if still in contact or may charge A and fight if one of them has retreated."

Also in BI:

7.6.6 Melees in more than one phase
In Basic Impetus you may encounter more than one
melee phase in the same turn. Multiple melee phases
normally happen after pursuit in a melee. Example:
A beats B, who retreats. A pursues and if it catches
up with B, and a new melee is fought immediately.
In this case the melee phases could even be more
than two.

7.6.7 Multiple melee in more than one phase
In a multiple melee, a melee may start again if a new
Unit moves to contact one of the fighting Units.
Apply the criteria for deciding Main Unit and
Support Units. The Unit that re-starts the fight does
not have to be declared Main Unit.

These all suggest to me that the newbie's interpretation was correct. It is about the activation rather than the number of rounds of combat fought, or even who was the main unit.

I hope this assists..

John
Nikephorous
Nikephorous
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 1ngram Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:40 am

Grateful though I am for your comments I don't think they answer the problem. The first para refers to two units on opposite sides of a battle so not relevant.

Second para refers to pursuits ending in contact which means a further melee.

The third paragraph is the one that is perplexing us. where it says "a melee may start again if a new unit moves to contact one of the fighting units." Three things to say here
1. Is the unit which was supporting a "new" unit? It has already taken part in a melee.
2. the para refers to moving to contact a fighting unit. In our example it was suggested it could move to contact a unit which was not at that point fighting (it had retreated) but logically it could equally have advanced to attack some other unit. 3. The question is whether it could advance at all having already been involved as a supporting unit in a previous melee.

Come on guys. Someone (Lorenzo?) who knows the rules backwards and forward please help me out here.

1ngram
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikephorous Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:08 pm

The key is the word activate. If a unit has already participated in combat - but not as the active unit then it can move and initiate combat during its activation.

The second paragraph does not only refer to pursuit - the key there being normally.

Keep it simple and don't over examine it. Wink

If a unit has not been activated it can do whatever it chooses and is not restricted by previous combats in another units activation.

I may be new to the forum but have been playing this game since 2006.

John
Nikephorous
Nikephorous
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikephorous Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:18 pm

1ngram wrote:

1. Is the unit which was supporting a "new" unit? It has already taken part in a melee.
2. the para refers to moving to contact a fighting unit.  In our example it was suggested it could move to contact a unit which was not at that point fighting (it had retreated) but logically it could equally have advanced to attack some other unit.  
3. The question is whether it could advance at all having already been involved as a supporting unit in a previous melee.

1. It does not matter if it fought a combat as it was not the unit that initiated the combat even if it was the main unit.

2. Correct in both cases. It may make any legal move/contact.

3. It can still advance even if it was the main unit in the combat.

Again it is all about which is the ACTIVE unit. If the unit in question has not yet been activated then it may make any legal move irrespective of what has gone before. You cannot "trump" a unit out of the game by attacking it with other units.

Using your interpretation a player may use an S unit to lock a CP with VBU of 8 in place (even if it is destroyed in doing so) simply by forcing it to roll combat dice.
Nikephorous
Nikephorous
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 1ngram Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:11 pm

I have to say we have never played it that way and, like you, we have been playing BI for a good number of years here. Though I understand the logic of what you are saying I would still like Lorenzo to pontificate for us though.

As to your last sentence though I can't see what this has to do with the query. I'm not asking about one side doing something that locks a unit of the opposing side in any way.

My query is quite specific to one side having a unit which starts a melee phase in contact with the enemy (from the result of a previous turn now being either the main or supporting unit of a new melee caused by a friendly unit coming into that new melee and THEN after that melee is concluded being able to activate, having already been involved in a melee. Essentially, is it a NEW UNIT if it hasn't moved but been involved in a melee that player turn already. You answer yes, and I can see the logic in that - but in the back of my head . . . . . .

1ngram
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:49 pm

The melee must always been considered as the last thing you can do during an activation. After the melee you can only pursuit/retreat and fight the incoming new melee. But if this doesn't occour, the the activation is over.

Now, a Unit can start its activation as already in melee. When you activate that unit you can only fight (or disengage if possible). When you fight that melee the Unit has been activated and cannot do anything else (as said on top).
No matter if the Unit is the Main or the Supporting Unit in the melee.
If 2 Units start in contact with enemy, the single melee (multiple melee) will complete the activation of both (an exception can be if they belong to 2 different commands, but this is not the case in BI).

Back to the first example posted by Ingram, the Persian player has 2 options. Start to activate the Unit already in contact and solve the melee and once solved activate the other Unit. Or do like he did, charging with the new Unit and solve the whole as a multiple melee.

Hope to have cleared, if not let me know please.
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1ngram Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:54 pm

So basically, Lorenzo, you are saying we have been doing it correctly - once a unit has been in a melee in any specific melee phase whether as main or supporting unit, then though it may get involved in more melees in THAT phase, due to retreats and pursuits, its activation has occurred and thus it will not be able to be activated thereafter.

To go back to my first example (in the hope this will clarify the situation once and for all) lets say the phasing player did the second of your options and charged with the new unit. The enemy retreated and the pursuit by the new unit failed to contact him again. Can the supporting unit - remember the one which started the phase already in contact with the enemy unit, now charge the enemy unit? Or has it been de facto already activated by taking part in the melee caused by the charging new unit?

1ngram
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:02 pm

no, it cannot. It supported the melee adding dice, so already did what could.
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down