impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dice&Lead magazine
Impetus at Derby? EmptyToday at 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
Impetus at Derby? EmptyYesterday at 3:51 pm by ejc

» Errata updated
Impetus at Derby? EmptyYesterday at 8:39 am by dadiepiombo

» Mamluks in Ayyubids Egyptians
Impetus at Derby? EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am by Robert Gargan

» Army Scale in Creating Scenarios
Impetus at Derby? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 7:51 am by kenntak

» Army Builder Issue
Impetus at Derby? EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am by jorneto

» Scottish Wars of Independence
Impetus at Derby? EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm by archibald the grim

» Hoplites equipped with Hoplon
Impetus at Derby? EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm by kenntak

» Depth Bonus in Mixed Large Units
Impetus at Derby? EmptySun Jan 07, 2024 1:55 am by ejc

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 3

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

Society of Ancients Battle Day

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 pm by ejc

Sorry for the short notice.
Our group is attending this event in Newbury on …

Comments: 3

Warfare 2022 Battle of Asculum

Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:55 pm by ejc

We are putting on battle of Asculum at warfare on behalf of the Society of …

Comments: 1

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Impetus at Derby?

5 posters

Go down

Impetus at Derby? Empty Impetus at Derby?

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am

Anyone interested ? 7th & 8th October at a new venue - Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground in Lutterworth. The Derby committee have contacted me and asked if we will be putting on a comp his year.

There was a fair amount of feedback from York about not having enough time to see the rest of the events and trade stalls, and we ran into some issues with games running over.

I wonder if it is worth thinking about shifting to a different format - specifically only 2 games in the day, but allowing more time for each to prevent guillotined draws? The problem would be it would be difficult to declare a winner. Would players therefore be up for a more relaxed "gaming Day" style rather than a true competition? We could even push the points to 450 or leave it at 400??

I also think I should review prizes. At York we had a Sh*t ton of prizes but I dont really think anyone actually came BECAUSE we had them, so why make more worry for the organisers ?

So anyone interested and would you support a shift to a 2 game format with more time to play, eat, shop etc?

Ken
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Impetus at Derby? Empty Re: Impetus at Derby?

Post by Aurelius Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:05 am

I'll be interested in joining you. It has been an issue that as competitors we get very little time to see the show. So I guess a 2 game format would be OK. We could try the alternative scoring system that Lorenzo trialled in the 2015 Tournament Rules, it appears to give a wider range of scores for a game, so there would at least be a clear result. 450 points could be interesting, but we may start to need a larger table...

Tony

Aurelius
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 pm

I would point out I think we should only make it 1 day
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Sat May 06, 2017 2:12 pm

OK had a look at the venue and its NOT in Derby, by any stretch of the imagination. Its actually just south of Leicester, not far from Bosworth in fact.

So with that in mind would people like a Medieval theme to the competition - personally I would like to do WOR but that is going to be too restrictive. Thoughts?

Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by jeztodd Mon May 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi sure I will want to play again this year.

I am definitely in favour of a one day contest though.

Regarding game length if we want a faster game is it worth looking at fixed terrain? Might save a bit of time through placing - only a few minutes though? Otherwise is it back to 300 points for three games? Or are we just really strict on timing?

Or go to two games?

Period wise I am happy if there is more of a themed contest.

Another possible idea is to make it a Basic Impetus 2 competition - I think you could easily play 3 games in BI2 as it is a faster format and that would give time to look around the show.

Anyway sure I will wan to support again.

Cheers Jez
jeztodd
jeztodd
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Wed May 17, 2017 3:57 pm

How about Doubles - ie 2 players each playing twice would give us enough results to work with to have a reasonable placings table. There are also some options such as pairs swapping armies if that would create more interest?

Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by jeztodd Thu May 18, 2017 11:49 am

Hi - I'll start the ball rolling with some feedback - can others add in as well?? Think it is difficult for Ken if
you are just posting in a vacuum.

Anyway I think that it is a brilliant idea! It is a new Show so why not start some new kind of one day competition?

Should I pair with Matt my brother or maybe my nearby neighbour Stratford neighbour Tony is more reliable?? Assuming Tony wants to pair with me?

If we do this, do we want totally free options on armies or do we have one ancient / dark age and another medieval/renaissance group? Perhaps using shot weapons could be the dividing line?

I have extra Renaissance armies am happy to bring if potential players are worried about this?

Anyway as heading towards the end of May would be good to get some decisions and then Ken can confirm with the Show organisers so we don't miss out .....

Cheers Jez
jeztodd
jeztodd
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by The_BHGS Sat May 20, 2017 10:56 am

Hi Chaps

Sounds like there is a decent amount of interest in the event - we're getting ready to open bookings and publish at least the initial details on the Derby website in the next couple of weeks, so if its definitely going to be a one-day event it would be good to get at least that and the number of games locked-in soon - then we can update the theme details later on.

If someone can send back the form to us with whatever information is fixable at this stage that would therefore be great

Thanks
Tim

The_BHGS
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Zennor Mon May 22, 2017 6:27 am

Quick question - I'm contemplating a trip to UK in October from Sydney and interested in some wargame shows - had Salute in mind but also Derby. As I'll be sans army but keen to play would anyone be open to loaning me one for the event if I go ahead with the trip? Always happy to reciprocate if you ever make it down here.
As for format these days I'm more interested in fun gaming with time to explore between games.
Thanks
Rob

Zennor
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 am

I;m sure we can arrange a spare to be on hand. Salute is a better and bigger show for spectacle I would say, but Derby has the competitions.
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Zennor Mon May 22, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks. Actually I meant to say SELWG show. May be able to do Derby, then SoA conference weekend, then SELWG over three weekends with some trips during the weeks. Too early to confirm at this stage alas as somewhat work dependent.

Zennor
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 am

OK I'm going to have to try and work with the various feedback I've got both here and from other sources. There will be Impetus at Derby on Saturday. The plan will be to run a two game format at 400 points, 2-4 Commands as is now the norm with an open list format - ie all published lists. I'd prefer to stay away from Beta's. Games will be played under the most recent Advanced Impetus. There will be TWO games in the day. For the first game every effort will be taken to match your army with a historically correct one - or as near as we can manage. The second round will be totally random - with the proviso that we can fudge the draw to avoid players playing against "regular" opponents or club mates. Shifting to a two game format will mean there will be no guillotine on game time so assuming a 9:30 game start for the morning and a 2:00 start for the afternoon everyone should have time to play a full game and get a reasonable break for lunch and shopping. (Dax will no longer have to worry about his fag breaks and those of us with weak bladders will also benefit). Of course this will mean declaring a winner will be less conclusive than in previous years with the possibility of two fluked big wins walking away with the trophy, but I'm aware most players come just for the event and the chance to have some fun games so I'm hoping this relaxed format will encourage them. As for prizes, in the past we have had some very generous sponsorship from traders, in fact we have probably handed out more and more valuable prizes than any other competition. On reflection I think this has not particularly encouraged entry, so this year there will only be the trophy (and associated Glory) to the winner. Any sponsored prizes will be allocated by random draw as a pleasant thank you for taking part. Hopefully that will cover it. Any final suggestions most welcome before I post a definitive announcement

Cheers

Ken
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down