impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» ZOC violation
Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry

+2
Granicus Gaugamela
Gaius Cassius
6 posters

Go down

Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry Empty Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:01 pm

This has probably been answered before but we had a situation recently where a CM was in melee with an enemy infantry unit. The CM had support from a friendly FL unit. The melee was a draw and the CM made a compulsory retreat. What happens to the FL support unit? Does the FL also retreat from the melee disordered with the enemy infantry remaining pat (as it can't follow up a compulsory retreat.) Or does the FL remain in the melee subject to future rounds of combat (all things remaining the same) as the main unit?
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry Empty Re: Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:12 am

I don't have my stuff handy but I thought it had been changed to a "may" retreat for the CM vs Infantry?

Thus any CM retreat would be voluntary so the supporting FL stick in place.

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry Empty Re: Compulsory Retreat of CM/CL/CGL with Support Infantry

Post by Gaius Cassius Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:31 am

"May" retreat is correct. Which would argue for one understanding. But, on the other hand, the main unit is retreating from the melee. The rules also say that when the main unit retreats any support units also retreat.

Just to be clear, I have no personal axe to grind in this question. I can see both arguments.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:43 pm

I think the second option is correct - the CM MAY choose to remain in contact but should they retreat then the retreat rules kick in and the supporting unit also retreats
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dadiepiombo Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:57 pm

as Cyrus said
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:35 am

Thanks for the clarification.

As an aside, if we reversed the above scenario and the FL was the main unit in the melee and it was supported  by a CM against enemy infantry and the FL lost the melee and retreated what retreat move would the CM make? Would it be a regular 1d6 or would it be a compulsory retreat 5+1d6? Could the enemy infantry pursue in this scenario?
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:01 am

Interesting

Easy bit first
Irrespective of how far the CM retreated I would say the opposition could follow up assuming they are normally allowed to do so.

The harder bit
I think the CM would retire the normal D6 rather than the 5+d6 as they only fought as supports rather than as the main opponent
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:50 pm

I'm inclined to agree with your thinking Cyrus. These are the kinds of details I hope Lorenzo will include in Impetus 2.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by starkadder Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:55 am

I will have to file that interpretation away for our competitions. It's certain to come up at some stage.
starkadder
starkadder
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:22 am

Yes will have to file that one away. As a side issue the retreat no longer disorders is that right ?

Advanced Impetus
"Amendment to paragraph 7.6.2
In the case of a draw against Infantry, the player controlling
any CM/CL/CGL Units involved in the melee can
choose to retreat by 5U+1d6 or remain in contact."

Just thought I'd bring it up as this has been asked just recently. Old rule says "....in disorder"
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:48 am

We continue to play that CM/CL/CGL that make a compulsory retreat from a draw become disordered if they are not already. Interesting to see if this is correct.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:09 am

I would say yes, the new rule doesn't supersede the original totally, just adds an option to remain in contact, so if you choose to retreat as per the original rules you still become disordered (sadly for my Persians)
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Good way of putting it Cyrus. The change in the rule requires clarification and a new term (compulsory retreats are no longer compulsory!)
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:29 pm

Ok good think we're in agreement it's just been overlooked in the amended version.
The new wording should be.

Advanced Impetus
Amendment to paragraph 7.6.2

"In the case of a draw against Infantry, the player controlling any CM/CL/CGL Units involved in the melee can choose to retreat by 5U+1d6 disordered or remain in contact."
Smile
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down