impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» B class warriors.
Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes EmptyFri Sep 06, 2024 3:32 pm by Hope

» Difficult terrain and melee
Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes EmptyTue Sep 03, 2024 4:29 am by armstp

» Impetus Whatsapp
Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes EmptySun Aug 25, 2024 10:30 am by jorneto

» Trojan list
Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes EmptyThu Aug 15, 2024 12:04 pm by jorneto

» FP vs. FL in melee
Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes EmptyTue Aug 06, 2024 4:12 pm by jorneto

» Anyone playing King David
Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 5:16 pm by kreoseus

» Smooth&Rifled new edition
Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes EmptySat Jul 13, 2024 12:35 pm by dadiepiombo

» Who to chase?
Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 9:55 am by kenntak

» Dice&Lead magazine
Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes EmptyFri Jun 07, 2024 10:20 am by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes

+2
Jim Webster
Pyjamas
6 posters

Go down

Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes Empty Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes

Post by Pyjamas Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:52 am

Gents,

I need your help desperately.

I have ben gaming for a very long time and have reached the point where I need professional advice!

What are you all doing to stop your spears, javelins and pikes from being dislodged from either over-zealous gamers or ones own clumsy hand?

I have tried all manner of superglues, two part catalysts etc. with varying dgrees of success but surely someone out there can put me straight diown the right path. Whenever possible I drill however many figures are open handed so this is not an option.

I struggle using the two part GW putties as well. The hand ends up ooking like a club!

In addition I am finding the new prodcuts such as weapons from North Star etc. make the problem worse as they will not bend like the older style white metal weapons would.

Help!

Carlo

Pyjamas
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes Empty Re: Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes

Post by Jim Webster Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:36 pm

I tend to use the really cheap superglues, (pack of 12 for £1 from the pound shop) which seem to work as well as anything

Jim
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes Empty Re: Sick and Tired of knocking off my spears and pikes

Post by bobm Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:15 pm

I use Gorilla superglue (via Amazon). As long as the connection is metal to metal and the surfaces are as smooth as possible it works just fine.

bobm
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:29 am

Liquid Nails first ( applied with a tooth pick so not much Carlo ) then a very small drop of superglue on top to hold the spear while it goes off. Sticks like shit to a blanket guaranteed....haven't lost a spear yet Twisted Evil
Btw I always squeeze a small bit of Liquid Nails out onto some cardboard and work from that with the toothpick. It starts going off quick so once this happens leave it and squeeze a fresh drop.... and so on and so on.
Very good friend showed me this and it hasn't failed me yet. ( thanks Ralph Idea )
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pezhetairoi Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:19 pm

With 28mm figures I drill out (or scrape out) the miniature's hand a little to get a deeper, rounder shape. I find most aren't deep enough for a good grip.
Then I insert the hard metal spear, a drop of CA glue, and then with small pliers I "fold" the hand around the spear a little, pinching it together tightly.
Sometimes this flattens the finger detail a little, but I'd rather that than lost spears. I rarely lose any, usually the arm will bend first.
The key to scraping out or drilling out the hand is to create a deeper pocket for the spear/pike to sit -- like 3/4 of a circle around the spear versus the 1/2 circle the miniatures are cast with.

These new plastic spears on the other hand, I break those @%^&!!! ALL THE TIME. Evil or Very Mad
Pezhetairoi
Pezhetairoi
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tankred Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am

I use plastic brooms for creating my spears. The tips are flattened with pliers and cut to have proper tips.

The plastic broom bristle is flexible, paints up nicely and hence does not fall off so often.
Tankred
Tankred
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down