impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Skirmisher penalties
Oppurtunity EmptyToday at 12:45 am by Tartty

» ZOC violation
Oppurtunity EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Oppurtunity EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Oppurtunity EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Oppurtunity EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Oppurtunity EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Oppurtunity EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Oppurtunity EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Oppurtunity EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Oppurtunity

5 posters

Go down

Oppurtunity Empty Oppurtunity

Post by nicholassalmon Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi guys, I have just bought the rules and like them very much, however I want to make sure I understand opportunity properly.

A unit of C grade knights advances towards an enemy so that it's movement ends just in front of the enemy. It rolls to go on to opportunity but fails it's roll. Next turn the enemy unit/s charge the knights and again the knights fail the roll to counter-charge. This means that they cannot get their impetus and are at a severe disadvantage in melee. This situation is clearly ridiculous and in reality the knights could not fail to meet the threat effectively.

I sincerely hope I have missed something and have not described it accurately as soldiers would not meet an approaching threat at the standstill as this rule implies.

Many thanks for your help in this matter.

Nick

nicholassalmon
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Oppurtunity Empty Re: Oppurtunity

Post by dadiepiombo Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Hi Nick,
well we have 2 arguments here, the opportunity and the countercharge.

Opportunity is useful in several situations, but it is not a standard approach. I mean you can play a full game with no need to put any unit on opportunity.
Usually opportunity may be useful to shooting units or to impetuous units. In the latter case as you want to prevent them to go out of control (frenzy).

Counter charge is useful if you have the Unit already in opportunity, but if you have not, it is not worth unless you need to move forward to "save" for example another friendly unit you don't want to be contacted.
Now the only advantage to countercharge is to add impetus bonus. But waht you risk if you fail is worst. Much better to roll few dice less than start a melee in disorder.
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholassalmon Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm saying is that if a unit fails it's quality check twice it will not be able to counter-charge and probably lose the melee, this does not model anything like reality. Thanks for clearing this up, I thought maybe I didn't understand, but it seems that if you don't make the die rolls you get hit stationary, this is nonsense. Sorry, will not play....

Nick

nicholassalmon
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:09 am

nicholassalmon wrote:Hi guys, I have just bought the rules and like them very much, however I want to make sure I understand opportunity properly.

A unit of C grade knights advances towards an enemy so that it's movement ends just in front of the enemy. It rolls to go on to opportunity but fails it's roll. Next turn the enemy unit/s charge the knights and again the knights fail the roll to counter-charge. This means that they cannot get their impetus and are at a severe disadvantage in melee. This situation is clearly ridiculous and in reality the knights could not fail to meet the threat effectively.

I sincerely hope I have missed something and have not described it accurately as soldiers would not meet an approaching threat at the standstill as this rule implies.

Many thanks for your help in this matter.

Nick

First off you can't move the C Knights and then attempt to go on Opportunity. You can only attempt to go on Opportunity at the start of your activation (technically after attempting to rally once for free) and then it ends your activation if successful - if not you activate (move/shoot/melee) as normal.

In the situation described the C Knights should either declare a charge at the outset, hoping the additional movement dice is sufficient to contact.

Or move once (against which the enemy can't counter-charge as it is not a charge but could take opportunity action if on OP - not for ZOC infringement as you are on a trajectory to contact) and then charge as move segment #2 (you roll for disorder before calculating the combat).

At worse you charge in with impetus but counting disorder. Only if the enemy are on OP are you at risk of being gazumped and even then you would count your impetus in the ensuing melee as you are in motion by definition.

So the situation may be ridiculous but is also illegal as the rules stand Very Happy

Be wary of approaching decent CM horse archers like mamelukes with this pattern  Shocked  - they shoot you on the approach and if they don't like the melee after will evade. Impetus is one of the few rule sets that really get heavy horse archers right IMO.

Welcome to the fold - ask as many questions as you like
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:18 pm

Zippee has it right Nick. With impetuous troops you would normally double move in against your opponent to get the bonus dice while hoping that you pass you discipline test. This shows hard riding knights foaming at the mouth raring to get it. On the otherhand, you could move them up one move and then hope that you get the initiative next turn to charge them in. In this case, you don't have to risk disorder. Of course, the otherside could get the initiative on you and charge before you get a chance to reactivate. But as Lorenzo says, in this case never counter charge because the extra dice aren't worth going disordered.

All new players get hooked up on the number of melee dice thrown but the more important issue is keeping your troops in good order. The extra impetus dice aren't that important in the end.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:15 am

Agree with Gaius and Zippee being the aggressor with the most dice doesn't necessarily equate to success in a fight that's for sure. As you play more games you'll soon get to realise the cohesion test is the important roll Wink
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum