impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» ZOC violation
Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am by kenntak

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm by Tartty

» Hit in flank?
Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am by Hope

» FP vs. FL in melee
Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Removing Bonus dice to large warbands

+5
Granicus Gaugamela
Axebreaker
Tartty
dadiepiombo
Gaius Cassius
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 Empty Re: Removing Bonus dice to large warbands

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:08 pm

On a 6x4 table Warbands have won entire tournaments and have also been slaughtered by Romans and Crusader armies. They are a very specific weapon that their opponent needs to address.

Charge them first. Get your cavalry in there. Get your army on opportunity and charge them at the completion of their first move in a given activation so you hit them standing still.

Use your tactics to defeat them rather than wondering why their tactics defeat you.

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Removing Bonus dice to large warbands - Page 2 Empty Re: Removing Bonus dice to large warbands

Post by Gaius Cassius Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Any army can beat any army in Impetus. What we are talking about is the basic interplay of troop types. As Jim has mentioned in past discussions warband armies in 15mm aren't nearly so devastating when compared to 25mm because the table size is doubled.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by starkadder Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Granicus Gaugamela wrote:Use your tactics to defeat them rather than wondering why their tactics defeat you.

I didn't pick you for a disciple of Sun Tzu, GG.
I had you down as more of a Clausewitz man.

Flow like the river.

For what it's worth, I agree with Gaius' observation that any army can beat any other army in Impetus. That's the only way competition play can exist and is one of the strengths of the rules set. And what drew me back to Ancients after more than twenty years.

That said, each army has its flavour, its style. Warbands, Pike/Longbows, Cl-focused - all make it a challenge. As long as an army is not outrageously overmatched, then we have a game and you're always in with a chance.

I fought the Yorkists with Anatolians at Wintercon and pulled a very sanguinary draw. My friend JR's Numidians destroyed a Maximilian Imperial 130-0 and was then trounced by a thuggish Venetian army ( Laughing). These weren't spectacular or imbalanced - it was just the way it fell.

Embrace the diversity, gentlemen.
starkadder
starkadder
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Axebreaker Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 pm

As Jim has mentioned in past discussions warband armies in 15mm aren't nearly so devastating when compared to 25mm because the table size is doubled. wrote:

Yep, Impetus plays different at 15mm then 28mm unless you have access to a very large table to achieve the same distance/movement ratio. Hard to judge warbands effectiveness under these circumstances unless you include a section on table sizes and rules modification.  scratch 

Christopher
Axebreaker
Axebreaker
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 pm

I agree it's a bit of a lottery with warbands ( as it should be btw ).
Shorter distance to contact does go in their favour and they can be into you in a jiffy that's for sure.

I think what Gaius's concern is ( correct me if I'm wrong GC ) is the historical match up of Roman v Celts in 28mm on 6x4 tables ? This match up is a little unbalanced at this scale... I can attest to that.

Don't know what can be done though short of doing what GG suggests and plonk a whole lot of cavalry in front of them in your battle line ( don't know how many times that was done )

Take away the rear rank dice for large warbands ? would that unbalance things too far for them when fighting other opponents ? Tough one.
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Tarty wrote:
I think what Gaius's concern is ( correct me if I'm wrong GC ) is the historical match up of Roman v Celts in 28mm on 6x4 tables ?  This match up is a little unbalanced at this scale... I can attest to that.

Thin of it as beneficial terrain like a certain legion in the woods, there is a bit of a clearing but the Celts have been able to get close for some reason.

So be it.

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Granicus Gaugamela Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:32 pm

starkadder wrote:
Granicus Gaugamela wrote:Use your tactics to defeat them rather than wondering why their tactics defeat you.

I didn't pick you for a disciple of Sun Tzu, GG.
I had you down as more of a Clausewitz man.

Flow like the river.

Clausewitz?

The emphasiser of the superiority of defence?

Dear Lord, we shall have to disabuse you of that notion my dear chap!!

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2