impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse EmptyYesterday at 3:51 pm by ejc

» Errata updated
Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse EmptyYesterday at 8:39 am by dadiepiombo

» Mamluks in Ayyubids Egyptians
Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am by Robert Gargan

» Army Scale in Creating Scenarios
Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 7:51 am by kenntak

» Army Builder Issue
Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am by jorneto

» Scottish Wars of Independence
Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm by archibald the grim

» Hoplites equipped with Hoplon
Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm by kenntak

» Depth Bonus in Mixed Large Units
Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse EmptySun Jan 07, 2024 1:55 am by ejc

» Looking for players in central Florida, USA
Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse EmptySat Jan 06, 2024 11:18 pm by Noss Calavera

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 3

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

Society of Ancients Battle Day

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 pm by ejc

Sorry for the short notice.
Our group is attending this event in Newbury on …

Comments: 3

Warfare 2022 Battle of Asculum

Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:55 pm by ejc

We are putting on battle of Asculum at warfare on behalf of the Society of …

Comments: 1

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse

+4
Memnon
slowjoecrow
Eddie Longshanks
Cyrus The Adequate
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse Empty Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 am

Hi Gents

York is the usual first event in the UK Impetus calendar. This year will be slightly different as 2018 be the last year before Impetus 2 is launched.

http://www.yorkwargames.org/VapnartakCompetitions.htm

Running order
09:15 Registration and Briefing
09:30 Game 1

13:00 Game 2

err that's it really  

This year the Vapnartak show will be held at the racecourse as usual. This is a superb venue – if a little crowded.

This year we are trying something a little different. As with Derby last year we will only be playing 2 games in the day. To compensate we will be playing with 450pt armies and with much longer playing time available – so we should not have to rush or end games before we have a result.We will also be trying out the new terrain layout system from Impetus 2 with Lorenzo's permission and request for feedback. Details below.

All this should mean we should also have plenty of time to shop and look at the other demo games.

As we are no longer playing 3 games we cannot get the usual tournament result. This gives us the opportunity to be a bit more creative with our game format. This year I thought we would try to keep the tournament more “historical” by trying to match opponents by period, so hopefully avoiding those unbalanced Late Medieval vs Biblical games. To achieve this we will group players into period cells, each of 4 players who will end up playing each other once – so player a plays b, c plays d and second round the winners of both play off as do the losers. This should give our more competitive players sufficient challenge, while leaving normal folks the chance to have 2 good friendly games.

I would propose the following period groups -

Classical and Rome
1. Pete (Memnon)
2. John (JR2)
3. Ken (Cyrus)
4. ????

The Modern World
1. Paul Davison (EddieL)
2. James Irvin
3. Slow Joe Crow
4. Andrew (Brighouse)

We will need to move some folks around if needed to make our groups, but that should not be beyond our capabilities

Terrain & Setup

This is the system we will be using

EXPLORATION POINTS
Exploration-Points (EP) are used during the preparation of the terrain and deployment  Players can purchase EPs, up to a maximum of 5. Each EP costs 1pt.

SIZE AND SHAPE
Unless you are recreating a specific battlefield, the shapes of terrain items, with the exception of waterways and roads, must be vaguely ovoid or in the case of Villages, Fortified Areas or cultivated fields, rectangular. There is a standard format for terrain pieces.
“Diameters”, or the long sides of these templates, should not be less than 12cm or greater than 48cm if Large or greater than 30cm if Small.
The rivers have no length limitations but should avoid loops that lack credibility. The width of the rivers can vary from 6cm (streams) to 12cm.
Except in the case where you are playing a scenario, only one river is allowed and should be positioned so that it runs more or less parallel to one of the two short sides of the playing area.

Large rivers or seas are better represented by a coastline that borders the battlefield along a short side. These extend towards the land by a minimum of 12cm to a maximum of 24cm. You can adopt a similar option for Walled Cities.
Simple linear obstacles can be up to 12cm and can form no more than one angle or follow a road. The obstacles that encircle a linear (open ground or broken) can be long as the perimeter of the element of land in question.

The roads have no particular limitations in length and must enter and exit the two opposite sides of the table. A second or third road may merge into an existing road. The width of a road cannot be greater than 6cm.
Bridges and fords should be around 6cm wide (with some tolerance according to the model size).

PREPARING THE TERRAIN
Both players roll 2d6. Both sides add +1 for each Mounted Unit, with exception of El and W. Whoever gets less is the Defender.  
The Defender rolls 2 dice on one of the following tables and places the terrain feature anywhere on the battlefield.

Terrain Table A (if his army has more Foot Units)
2-4 Nothing
5-7 A Small Broken terrain or a Small Gentle Hill or any Small Difficult terrain
8-9 A Difficult terrain (Small or Large) or a Road or Nothing
10-11 A Large Difficult or Broken terrain or an Impassable terrain (Small or Large)
12 A River or a Village or nothing

Terrain Table B (if his army has more Mounted Units with exception of El and W)
2-4 A Large Broken Terrain
5-6 Nothing or a Gentle Hill (Small or Large) or Small Broken Terrain a Road
7-9 Nothing or a Difficult terrain (Small or Large) or an Impassable terrain (Small or Large)
10-11 Can move a Terrain placed by the opponent or place a bridge/ford or place Nothing
12 Can remove a Terrain placed by the opponent
“Nothing” means that the player simply passes.

Exploration Points can be added to scale down or up in the table.
Example: a Player roll a 3 on Table A. He can add 2 EP to reach a 5 and be able place a terrain feature. Once used EP are lost.

If the army has an equal number of Foot and Mounted the Player can choose which Terrain Table they wish to use before rolling the dice.

After the Defender has placed the terrain item, the Attacker rolls on his table and does the same, but he has to place his terrain (if any) at least 48cm from the item placed by the Defender.
After the Attacker has placed his item, the Defender rolls again on the table and places another element (if any) anywhere he wants.

One terrain feature cannot be laid on top of another with the following exceptions.
Roads can be placed on any Terrain and rivers (where it creates a ford).
One road can cross another forming a crossroads.
Water features can intersect: each other a river can cross a lake/pond/marsh...

3.7 DEPLOYMENT
The deployment zone extends up to 30cm from the long table mid-line. No Unit or Baggage may also be deployed closer than 30cm from the side (shorter) edges of the playing area.
After the preparation of the terrain, it is up to the Defender to deploy his Baggage and Fortifications followed by the Attacker.
To see who deploys his troops first both players roll 2d6. Each player can add as modifiers unused Exploration Points. The winner decides who deploys first.
Armies with Good Command Structure can re-roll one or both dice.
Armies with Average Command Structure can re-roll both dice.
Armies with Poor Command Structure cannot re-roll any dice.
The Player that must deploy starts to field its bigger Commands (the one with highest VDT). If more than one Command has the same VDT the Player that controls them chooses which one to deploy first.
After the deployment of the first Command, it is up the other player to deploy his biggest (VDT) Command, after which they will proceed alternately and both players will be free to choose which Command to deploy first.
Part of a Unit can be placed on the baggage, but the baggage must be freed at the first activation.

Due to the new terrain system Flank Marches are not allowed - as I explained in a earlier edit they were a bit too overused at Derby, however the "new" terrain layout system we are trying out has implications for flank marches in Impetus 2 that would over complicate set up etc so we cant use them anyway.

Cheers -

Ken

Last edited by Cyrus The Adequate on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 pm; edited 10 times in total
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse Empty Re: Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse

Post by Eddie Longshanks Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:39 am

Put me down for Medieval or Classical.

Eddie Longshanks
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse Empty Re: Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse

Post by slowjoecrow Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 pm

I can only really do Dark Age. Unless Feudal is included under Medieval?

slowjoecrow
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes I suspect Feudal would be Medieval - shall I put you in that group?
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by slowjoecrow Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:37 pm

I should have a Nikephorian Byzantine army ready, so Dark Age first choice, Medieval second as I can put together some sort of Arab concoction
Cheers
Gareth

slowjoecrow
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Memnon Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:43 pm

I can do roman ( carthaginian) or possibly classical.
C
arthaginians would be preferred option.
Cheers
Pete
Memnon
Memnon
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Brighouse Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I can do Late Medieval Irish/ Medieval Anglo Irish or War of the Roses .

Sent from Topic'it App
Brighouse
Brighouse
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Brighouse Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Also could field an old 25mm late Alexander army but will need rebasing from WRG.

Cheers
Andrew

Sent from Topic'it App
Brighouse
Brighouse
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin B Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:15 am

Morning all,

I'm up for the show, and as you probably know, I can do many periods, however I have just finished my Wargames Factory very late Japanese.... Sad ... all those pieces are real hard work!

However, I can work on several other periods. I was surprised to see that the flank marching rules worked so successfully, the change to the rules make it a very risky option more likely to be doomed to failure than to be battle winning.

So I can do armies from classical up to Medieval.... happily. Just let me know what is needed.

CB
Colin B
Colin B
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Brighouse Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:46 am

Hi , just checking arrangements what time are we planning to get to York racecourse to set up and when will the first game start .
Cheers
Andrew

Sent from Topic'it App
Brighouse
Brighouse
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin B Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi all,

Am I missing something?

Nothing seems to have moved on here for a time?

Is the competition still on?

Do we have an answer about the period we are covering?

I need to organise an army still and obviously book a hotel....

CB
Colin B
Colin B
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurelius Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Sorry I cannot make this event this year, look forward to next...

TD

Aurelius
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:53 am

OK Gents I'm going to try beating the drum to get more in but worse case we will have to drop some groups and rejig

There seems to be some issues at York themselves as they're communicating "sporadically" however the venue is open from 9am. I'll get our start times posted up today

Ken
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 am

I've updated the original post with start time and the new terrain rules - please bang the drum to see if we can get a few more players too
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Brighouse Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks for the update , will check with the friends I game with and see if I can muster anyone but they only have War of the Roses impetus army's.

Sent from Topic'it App
Brighouse
Brighouse
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm

WOR is fibe we have a slot free in the Medieval group
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by JR2 Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi Ken,

Please could you add me to the list? I will be bringing my Ancient Brits.

Thanks

John

JR2
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin B Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to let you all Know that I'm not going to making it this year.

Good luck guys... and have fun.

CB
Colin B
Colin B
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Right Gents - quick update

If you are coming get there by 9:15 please so we can do the last minute admin and so forth. Take up has been sub optimal but we will make do with what we have. I'm going to break us into groups - looks like Group one is Everything up to the Fall of Rome, with Group 2 post that. If we have an odd number I will act as sub.

So things to do

1. Post your lists here for peer review
2. Tell me your real name so I can advise the Vappa Committee
3. Turn up at Vappa and enjoy

I think we can pull that off :-)
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Longshanks Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:14 pm

Same army that I used at Derby/Leicester/wherever it was.. Rolling Eyes

Late Feudal English

Average Command Structure
3x ROD
7x Exploration Points

Command 1 Charismatic General
King and Household* CP @45pts
2x Feudal Men at Arms CP @ 29pts ea

VDT=9 Break=5

Command 2 Average General
2x Foot Sergeants FP (deep) long spear @ 12+9pts
2x Mercenary Sergeants* FP (deep) long spear, front rank VBU=5 @22+13pts
4x Longbowmen VBU=4 @18pts ea

VDT=14 Break=7

Command 3 Average General
3x Feudal Men at Arms* CP @29pts ea

VDT=9 Break=5

Army VDT=32   Army Break=16

Paul

Last edited by Eddie Longshanks on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Duff maths - a 400 point army wont work)

Eddie Longshanks
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by slowjoecrow Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:22 pm

Nikephorian Byzantine
Average Command Structure 12pts
1 x ROD 5pts
5 x Exploration Points : 5pts
Command 1 :
1 x Tagmatic Kavallaroi *(CM Comp Bow C) VDT 3 Pts 38
2 X Thematic Kavallaroi (CM Comp Bow B) VDT 6 Pts 60
1 x Flankers (CL comp bow B) VDT 2 Pts 27
Fair Commander 20 Pts
COMMAND TOTAL : 145 Pts VDT 11 BREAK 6

COMMAND 2 : Exactly the same as Command 1

COMMAND 3
2 X Skutatoi* (FP Long Spear) 34pts VDT 5
2 x Supporting Archers (short bow A) 28 Pts VDT 2
1 x Varangians 21pts VDT 2
1 X Archers 11pts VDT 1
2 X Akontistai 24 Pts VDT 2
Fair Commander
COMMAND TOTAL 138 Pts VDT 12 BREAK 6

ARMY TOTAL VDT 34 BREAK 17

Gareth

slowjoecrow
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Memnon Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Second Punic War Carthaginian ( Pete Anderson )

Good Command Structure (20 pts)
3 Rolls of Destiny (15pts)
Exploration Points 2

Command 1 (CinC Expert  30pts attached to Lybian Vets) - ( 160 )

1 Large Unit FP Lybian Veteran Spearmen * VBU6 , VD6 ,  Long Sp ,(58 pts)
1 Large Unit FP Lybian Veteran Spearmen  VBU6 , VD6 ,  Long Sp ,(58 pts)
1 Unit S Belearic Slingers  VBU3 ,  VD1   (14pts)

VDT 13  Break 7

Command 2 (Fair  Gen 20pts attached to Numidian LCav) - (125)

1 CL Numidian Light Cav * VBU4  , VD3 , Javelin   (23pts)
1 Large Unit  FL Gallic Warriors , VBU 5/4 , VD2 , Impetuous ( 25 pts )
1 Large Unit  FL Gallic Warriors , VBU 4 , VD2 , Impetuous ( 21 pts )
1 Large Unit FL Celtiberians , VBU5 ,  VD2     (28 pts )
1 Unit Numidian Skirmishers S , VBU2 , VD1  Javelin  (12pts)

VDT 10  Break 5

Command 3  (Fair Gen 20pts attached to Numidian LCav  ) -(124)

1 CM Gallic Cav *   VBU5   , VD3   (23 pts )
1 FP Large Unit Campanion Hoplites  VBU5  ,  VD4  , Long Sp  (39pts)
1 FL Oscans   VBU4 , VD 1   Javelin ( 19pts )
1 CL Numidian Light Cav  VBU4  , VD3 , Javelin   (23 pts )

VDT  11  Break 6

Army VDT 34         Army Break 17         450pts
Memnon
Memnon
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by JR2 Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:49 pm

Ancient Britons

Poor Command structure - 0
3 ROD - 15
Exploration points - 5

Command 1 Fair General - 20pts
Chariot with General upgraded VD3 21 pts
2 X Chariot VD6 34pts
6 X CL Javelin VD12 126 pts
Total 201 pts VD21 break on 11.

Command 2 Expert General 30 pts
4 X FL Veterans with General VD7 64 pts
4 X Warriors - rear rank of large unit with above VD8 36 pts
4 x warriors formed as large units VD8 63 pts
3 X Slinger skirmishers VD3 36 pts
Total 229 pts VD26 break on 13.

Total army 450 pts VD47 break on 24 but don't intend to!

John

JR2
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Brighouse Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 pm

LANCASTRIANS 1455-1477 Andrew Ellerby

Average Command Structure- 12pts
1 ROD-10pts
4 Scouting-4pts

Command 1 Fair General 20pts
3 x CP Other Nobles and Men at Arms VD9 84 pts
Total 104pts Break on 5

Command 2 Fair General 20pts
2 x FP Retinue Billmen Large Unit VDU 4 38pts
2 x T Retinue Archers VDU 4 46pts
2 x S Irish Kerns VDU 2 24pts
3 x FL Irish Bonnachts VDU 3 42pts
Total Points 170 Break on 7

Command 3 Fair General 20pts
2 x FP Retinue Billmen Large Unit VDU4 38pts
2 x T Retinue Archers VDU 4 46pts
2 x S Irish Kerns VDU2 24pts
1 x T Shire Archers VDU 1 11pts
1 x FP Large Unit Shire Billmen VDU 2 9+7 16pts
Total Points 155 VDU 13 Break 7

Total Army Cost 450pts Total VDU 35 Break on 18

Andrew
Brighouse
Brighouse
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Thracians
Average Command Structure
3 Rolls of Destiny

Command 1 (Charismatic)
3 Noble Cavalry* (CM) upgraded to include peltasts, VD3 33 pts ea
1 Peltast (S) VBU2 VD1 12pts
1 Peltast (S) VBU3 VD1 14pts
VDT 11 Break 6

Command 2 (Fair)
1 x Peltasts* (FL) w Rhomphia upgraded to VBU 6 VD3 28pts
1 x Peltast (FL) w Rhomphia VBU 5 VD2 22pts
3 x Peltasts (FL) VD1 20pts ea
VDT 8 Break 4

Command 3 as Command 2 but with Poor General

Army VDT 27 Army Break 14 450pts
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next