impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:09 am by kenntak

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:16 pm by ejc

» Dice&Lead magazine
What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Errata updated
What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 am by dadiepiombo

» Mamluks in Ayyubids Egyptians
What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am by Robert Gargan

» Army Scale in Creating Scenarios
What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 7:51 am by kenntak

» Army Builder Issue
What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am by jorneto

» Scottish Wars of Independence
What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm by archibald the grim

» Hoplites equipped with Hoplon
What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm by kenntak

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 1

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

Society of Ancients Battle Day

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 pm by ejc

Sorry for the short notice.
Our group is attending this event in Newbury on …

Comments: 3

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

What Impetus Armies Are You Planning?

+8
baz baziah
Roundie
Prinny
Tartty
axeblitz
Greymouse
Zippee
GamesPoet
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? Empty What Impetus Armies Are You Planning?

Post by GamesPoet Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:27 pm

So you're into Impetus, what Impetus armies are you currently planning, and in what scale?

- - -

I'm hoping to have my 28mm Late Achaemenid Persian Army completed prior to next May of 2016.

Other armies that I have some 28mm figures for are Assyrians, Romans, Gauls, and at some point perhaps a Macedonian army.

Ah, almost forgot, I also have 28mm figures that might be used for the WotRs.

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? Empty Re: What Impetus Armies Are You Planning?

Post by Zippee Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Neo Assyrian, or possibly Indian, maybe Successor

I just completed 48 bases of Galatian warband, so something without squirly shields. . .

although it's always just a case of adding to the morphable mass rather than specific armies.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

What Impetus Armies Are You Planning? Empty Re: What Impetus Armies Are You Planning?

Post by Greymouse Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:30 pm

I want to finish my 100YW French and my Sarmations next but currently I'm not in the mood to paint Ancients...

Greymouse
Admin
Admin

http://www.wahnzinn.at

Back to top Go down

Post by axeblitz Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:43 pm

I am planning gallic/galatian ,also a early/late seleucids all by xyston very large order going in.will feel sorry for the postie Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

axeblitz
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:41 pm

28mm Sea Peoples
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Prinny Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:58 pm

I am working on a 28mm Feudal English army at the moment.

Still thinking about the next one on the list, so many options Smile
Prinny
Prinny
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by GamesPoet Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:24 am

Zippee wrote:Neo Assyrian, or possibly Indian, maybe Successor

I just completed 48 bases of Galatian warband, so something without squirly shields. . .

although it's always just a case of adding to the morphable mass rather than specific armies.
I'm considering a Successor, and having an army from India is a dream.

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Roundie Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:59 am

I'm working on WoR's Lancastrians. I have no idea what I should paint for a 350pt army so any helpful hints/list ideas would be........well ......very helpful
Roundie
Roundie
VBU 2
VBU 2

http://miniatureaddiction.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by baz baziah Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:25 pm

I'm working on a Thracian army and have plans for

Theban
Gallic
and the start of a Teutonic one as I found a good few Museum figures when I was having a tidy around.

Jim
baz baziah
baz baziah
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Greymouse Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:39 pm

@Roundie - start with the BI List with all options that should you bring close to 300 when you add commands. Play a few games with it usingf the full ruleset to see what you like and what not so much and work along from there.

Greymouse
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk engine Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:49 pm

I will augment my Macedonian army so I can field the troops of Pyrrhus. Especially I am looking forward to field light cavalry with javelins, don´t know why the light cav of Alexander the Great from the rule book list has no javelins. scratch

cheers

Hawk engine
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Roundie Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:14 am

Okay thanks Greymouse
Roundie
Roundie
VBU 2
VBU 2

http://miniatureaddiction.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:50 am

Hawk engine wrote:I will augment my Macedonian army so I can field the troops of Pyrrhus. Especially I am looking forward to field light cavalry with javelins, don´t know why the light cav of Alexander the Great from the rule book list has no javelins. scratch

cheers

The Alexandrian lists in EI include 1-2 Thracian CL and 0-2 Greek or Paionian CL all with javelins. It also contains 0-1 Prodromoi which obvioulsy don't have javelins. The rule book lists are now very old and should really be retired.

To be honest 4 generic Greek, 4 generic Asiatic and maybe a couple of Tarantine and native Thracian CL and you've covered all the bases for all the Hellenistic lists available.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk engine Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:08 am

@zippee: your message made me jump up in joy even though I have a partly torn muscle in one leg. cheers  As EI 4 will be available as a pdf soon the timing is perfect. Very Happy

cheers and thanx for the info
Olaf

Hawk engine
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Hawk engine wrote:@zippee: your message made me jump up in joy even though I have a partly torn muscle in one leg.  cheers   As EI 4 will be available as a pdf soon the timing is perfect. Very Happy

cheers and thanx for the info
Olaf

No worries - just don't send me the medical bill.

To update your army to include early, Philip, Alex, imperial and late Makedonians you need to be able to field:
4 Xystophoroi / Companion type CP
3 Greek / Thessalian CM
5 Native Makedonian CM (early)
3 Galatian CM (late)
1 Indian CM
2 Asiatic CM
1 Prodromoi CL
2 Native Thracian CL javelins
2 Hellenized Thracian / Greek CL javelins
2 Asiatic CL javelins
1 Indian CL javelins
2 Skythian CL bow
1 Bactrian CL bow
4 Agema / Elite FP pike
18 Makedonian FP pike
8 Mercenary Hoplite FP
2 Indian FP
12 Galatian FP
4 Thorakitai FL
12 Thureophoroi FL
4 Thracian / Illyrian peltast FL javelins (rising to 12 in late and 40 in early)
2 Greek peltast FL javelins
2 Persian peltast FL javelins
2 Indian FL javelins
12 Galatian FL
4 Indian T bow
6 Cretan S bow
6 Greek S javelin
2 Greek S bow
2 Greek S sling
2 Thracian / Illyrian S javelin (rising to 8 in early)
4 Thracian / Illyrian S bow (early)
2 Indian EL
1 Indian CGP
1 Indian CGL
1 Stone Thrower ART C

Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by GamesPoet Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Is that what you're planning to have?

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:53 pm

GamesPoet wrote:Is that what you're planning to have?

Who?
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk engine Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:26 pm

As I game in 28mm it would be hard to find the storage room for all those units  Very Happy I thought about painting all possible units from the rulebook Alexander list, but I don´t know if anybody in my area would play vs 18 units of Pezetairoi Twisted Evil 12 FL Peltasts sounds funny, too.

cheers

Hawk engine
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Ah well I routinely have to provide both sides in 15mm, and often we play with 600 or 800 or more points, so having reasonably large numbers is helpful.

My rule of thumb is 12 as a total for most but warband usually climbs to 24. Hoplites, Phalangites and legionaries also expand rapidly as they dominate both sides of many games in this period.

Hmm, 12 FL peltasts, 2 is more normal although you can have up to 12 thurephoroi. Otherwise you have to be taking an early or late army with sizeable native Thracian, Paionian and/or Illyrian elements.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by GamesPoet Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Zippee wrote:
GamesPoet wrote:Is that what you're planning to have?
Who?
Well didn't want to quote ya, it was a fairly long post. Yet who else could it have been? ; )

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:47 pm

GamesPoet wrote:Well didn't want to quote ya, it was a fairly long post.  Yet who else could it have been? ; )

Very Happy just checking [you can edit quotes though]

Well I have all that barring the xystophoroi, the phalangites and the Indians.

So as I said in my original post - next up is either Neo Assyrian (part painted, most not, all requires rebasing); or successors (phalangites and xystophoroi) or Indians (that above plus the rest of the Indian lists)

The successors would glue my extensive Hellenistic fringe collection of units together, it doesn't really matter how many Thracians, Galatians, Paphlagonians, Kappadokians, Asiatics, Skythions, Imitation legions, Cataphracts, Tarantines, etc. you have it just ain't going to work without phalangites and xystophoroi Very Happy

But the Indians provide a whole new dimension whilst adding to the Hellenistic fringe.

Sanity says Neo-Assyrians as I have them but despite the discussion on what the core infantry would be, (a move away from all T into large mixed units. Yay!) I'm still wary of starting an army that doesn't even have its core troop types nailed down in Impetus terms.

Successors is probably sensible but it's a slippery slope because the 18 phalangites and 4 agema listed above translate into 12 Macedonian, 12 Pantodapoi and 6 Agema across all the lists. And then there's little reason not to increase the hoplite contingent up to the required 38 which means all classical Greek and Hellenistic lists are covered. . .

Apart from the Indian contingents . . . so perhaps start there

And so we come full circle, and dither whilst painting WWII stuff for a friend
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm sort of filling in gaps at the moment with Ancients, but I've discovered an entirely new field for Impetus, and I'm working on SF figures for a rule set where an Impetus base is a company Embarassed
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkie Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:36 pm

On my drawing board are Thebans and Late Romans as well as Goths!

And of course a Royalist English civil war army for Baroque.... Cool

All in 15mm.

Steve
yorkie
yorkie
VBU 2
VBU 2

http://stevenkelly1.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Greymouse Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:08 am

Jim Webster wrote:I'm sort of filling in gaps at the moment with Ancients, but I've discovered an entirely new field for Impetus, and I'm working on SF figures for a rule set where an Impetus base is a company Embarassed

Now we want to know more!

Greymouse
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:10 pm

Basically I've always liked the stranger, more baroque types of Science Fiction.

Also I started doing it in 15mm when all there was was Tabletop figures (which are nice and I've got a lot.)

So what I've done is take other 15mm figures. So the militia infantry are slightly weaked Boer and Confederate infantry, the cavalry are Peter Pig WW2 German cavalry but they're riding 10mm Pendraken Aliens Embarassed
The heavy weapons are improvised. A couple of things obviously dismounted from spaceships, mounted on air-rafts to provide the power, and towed by draught animals because the power is going into working the weapon, not moving the air raft.
I also picked up a couple of heroclix walker-excavators. They too have been tweaked, and are now heavy weapon platforms.

I've got more conventional SF figures, but I've had a lot of fun with Mammoths mounting very heavy machineguns Shocked

The idea is that given the points values etc you'll be able to make your own armies using your own toys and your own background.
Yes you could have two perfectly sensible SF armies fighting each other but where would be the fun in that?

Jim
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next