impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
Wars of the Roses Game Report EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:09 am by kenntak

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Wars of the Roses Game Report EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:16 pm by ejc

» Dice&Lead magazine
Wars of the Roses Game Report EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Errata updated
Wars of the Roses Game Report EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 am by dadiepiombo

» Mamluks in Ayyubids Egyptians
Wars of the Roses Game Report EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am by Robert Gargan

» Army Scale in Creating Scenarios
Wars of the Roses Game Report EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 7:51 am by kenntak

» Army Builder Issue
Wars of the Roses Game Report EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am by jorneto

» Scottish Wars of Independence
Wars of the Roses Game Report EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm by archibald the grim

» Hoplites equipped with Hoplon
Wars of the Roses Game Report EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm by kenntak

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 1

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

Society of Ancients Battle Day

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 pm by ejc

Sorry for the short notice.
Our group is attending this event in Newbury on …

Comments: 3

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Wars of the Roses Game Report

2 posters

Go down

Wars of the Roses Game Report Empty Wars of the Roses Game Report

Post by Fat Wally Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:57 am

This week has seen my son Jack and I playing Basic Impetus Wars of the Roses almost daily.  He cut his teeth on most of the mechanisms, playing ECW Basic Baroque, earlier in the year.  His record in the ECW variant incidentally is extremely good.   He understands the rules and mechanisms, but the difficulty of the implications of terrain which take years (if ever) to master (as we all know too well).  So, subtly, I have to give him advice and point out options.  He then chooses (or mostly ignores) the option.

We started with the 7-8 Units recommended, for a few games then soon moved onto 12 units per side as Jack badgered me for more figures and a bigger table.  Jack was Defender, and rolled successfully for a river.  He placed it centrally running E-W, but I, as Attacker, moved it to a diagonal position.  The river is crossable anywhere but at half speed and becoming Disordered.  Jack also chose a road (with bridge crossable as just Disordered, and two hills; just north of the wheat field and under the green field).  He split his army 50/50 into two commands, despite my warnings.  I massed my best troops on my right planning to overwhelm Jack's left, whilst pinning his right with my left.

[img width=800 height=561]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0424_zps3srxufjv.jpg[/img]

Jack pushes his left forward to the riverbank whilst I push my numerically, and qualitative, weaker right flank forward to make him think I'm going to cross the river. However, I stay just out of bow shot knowing eventually he'll want to come and get me.

[img width=800 height=546]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0425_zps5ejfti0a.jpg[/img]

Nope.  I resist the temptation to engage.  Exasperated Lancastrians

[img width=800 height=516]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0426_zpsziik8bmj.jpg[/img]

Most of my better units waiting for the order to advance.  Jack's getting peeved and impatient.    I still stayed out of range.

[img width=800 height=640]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0427_zpszknbkikr.jpg[/img]

Satisfied that Jack has shown his hand, and is fully committed to his plan.  It'll be far too difficult to retreat and turn his troops lining the river to prevent me rolling up his flank.  So, I sent the Yorkist right in motion to overwhelm the enemy's left.

[img width=800 height=514]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0428_zpsgzlzxao7.jpg[/img]

Yorkist left creeps  forward to tempt and make sure he doesn't have ideas about harassing my right flank crossing the river., But, I'm still just out of range, which I know is quietly driving the kid nuts.

[img width=800 height=596]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0429_zpsacx2ztsn.jpg[/img]

Holding back, but too far away, ensuring the slow troops will take too long to play a role.

[img width=800 height=321]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0430_zpskvnhvyf1.jpg[/img]

With Jack's attention on his own right, I cross the river against  his left.  Poor quality bowmen are his only troops able to influence my crossing.  They are quickly engaged in a fight for survival.

[img width=800 height=602]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0431_zpsye1mtx1i.jpg[/img]

Temptation gets the better of Jack who realises what's afoot.  Unable to stop my right he tries to beat up on my much weaker left but his progress is slow AND his troops are Disordered by the river.  I throw my General led Dismounted Nobles against his crossbowmen whilst his flanking longbowmen take hits from my guns and archers.

Jack loses a unit of Billmen, routed by my own Bills, and a unit of Bowmen who rout due to missile fire.  However, amazingly his French Mercenary Crossbowmen hang on as both sides  repeatedly fail to cause any hits in combat.  He begins to worry about his camp as my Bills make a pursuit move towards it.  I have no intention of doing so, but another chance to wrong foot him whilst I finish off his troops on my side of the river, which are enough to finish the command, AND the entire army as its pushed beyond its break point.

[img width=800 height=453]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0434_zpsxfxlsuiq.jpg[/img]

Yorkists queueing to get to grips with the hated enemy.  Jack realises he's in serious trouble and advances towards my bowmen with Dismounted Nobles and Light Artillery.

[img width=800 height=701]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0435_zps1znifcy3.jpg[/img]

Jack's longbows are routed by my Bills.  He sends forward his Bills but as they crest the hill my own bowmen fire.    My Longbowmen guarding the enemy side of the bridge rout as a result of Jack's gun fire.  On the Lancastrian right however my Dismounted Nobles rout the French Crossbowmen whilst another unit of enemy bows routs due to my gun fire.  This is too much, and the command routs pushing the Lancastrians over the edge of the breakpoint abyss.  Victory to God and the 'Sun in Splendour' as the Yorkists prevail 13-2.  

Hard fought but mistakes made by Jack.  First time he's ever had a river in any game, and though he chose it, it threw him completely.  Jack knows all about fighting and tactics but his learning curve about terrain issues, and how to use it, is steep.  Rather than explain to him I have to show him by thrashing him enough for him to remember the lessons.  He learns better that way, and he absolutely hates it if he senses you're going easy on him.

[img width=800 height=645]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0436_zpsmtfbe4ay.jpg[/img]

Seriously good fun/bonding with son.  

[img width=800 height=600]https://2img.net/h/i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/WoTR%20-%20BASIC%20Impetus%201%20-%2011th%20August%202015/IMG_0422_zpsnxgfmlrl.jpg[/img]

All 15mm Peter Pig figures painted and owned by yours truly

Cheers

Kev

Fat Wally
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Wars of the Roses Game Report Empty Re: Wars of the Roses Game Report

Post by Fat Wally Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:58 am

What am I doing wrong I can't see the images?

If at first you don't succeed try, try again....

Last edited by Fat Wally on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Fat Wally
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat Wally Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:00 am

This week has seen my son Jack and I playing Basic Impetus Wars of the Roses almost daily.  He cut his teeth on most of the mechanisms, playing ECW Basic Baroque, earlier in the year.  His record in the ECW variant incidentally is extremely good.   He understands the rules and mechanisms, but the difficulty of the implications of terrain which take years (if ever) to master (as we all know too well).  So, subtly, I have to give him advice and point out options.  He then chooses (or mostly ignores) the option.

We started with the 7-8 Units recommended, for a few games then soon moved onto 12 units per side as Jack badgered me for more figures and a bigger table.  Jack was Defender, and rolled successfully for a river.  He placed it centrally running E-W, but I, as Attacker, moved it to a diagonal position.  The river is crossable anywhere but at half speed and becoming Disordered.  Jack also chose a road (with bridge crossable as just Disordered, and two hills; just north of the wheat field and under the green field).  He split his army 50/50 into two commands, despite my warnings.  I massed my best troops on my right planning to overwhelm Jack's left, whilst pinning his right with my left.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0424_zps3srxufjv

Jack pushes his left forward to the riverbank whilst I push my numerically, and qualitative, weaker right flank forward to make him think I'm going to cross the river. However, I stay just out of bow shot knowing eventually he'll want to come and get me.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0425_zps5ejfti0a

Nope.  I resist the temptation to engage.  Exasperated Lancastrians

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0426_zpsziik8bmj

Most of my better units waiting for the order to advance.  Jack's getting peeved and impatient.    I still stayed out of range.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0427_zpszknbkikr

Satisfied that Jack has shown his hand, and is fully committed to his plan.  It'll be far too difficult to retreat and turn his troops lining the river to prevent me rolling up his flank.  So, I sent the Yorkist right in motion to overwhelm the enemy's left.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0428_zpsgzlzxao7

Yorkist left creeps  forward to tempt and make sure he doesn't have ideas about harassing my right flank crossing the river., But, I'm still just out of range, which I know is quietly driving the kid nuts.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0429_zpsacx2ztsn

Holding back, but too far away, ensuring the slow troops will take too long to play a role.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0430_zpskvnhvyf1

With Jack's attention on his own right, I cross the river against  his left.  Poor quality bowmen are his only troops able to influence my crossing.  They are quickly engaged in a fight for survival.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0431_zpsye1mtx1i

Temptation gets the better of Jack who realises what's afoot.  Unable to stop my right he tries to beat up on my much weaker left but his progress is slow AND his troops are Disordered by the river.  I throw my General led Dismounted Nobles against his crossbowmen whilst his flanking longbowmen take hits from my guns and archers.

Jack loses a unit of Billmen, routed by my own Bills, and a unit of Bowmen who rout due to missile fire.  However, amazingly his French Mercenary Crossbowmen hang on as both sides  repeatedly fail to cause any hits in combat.  He begins to worry about his camp as my Bills make a pursuit move towards it.  I have no intention of doing so, but another chance to wrong foot him whilst I finish off his troops on my side of the river, which are enough to finish the command, AND the entire army as its pushed beyond its break point.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0434_zpsxfxlsuiq

Yorkists queueing to get to grips with the hated enemy.  Jack realises he's in serious trouble and advances towards my bowmen with Dismounted Nobles and Light Artillery.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0435_zps1znifcy3

Jack's longbows are routed by my Bills.  He sends forward his Bills but as they crest the hill my own bowmen fire.    My Longbowmen guarding the enemy side of the bridge rout as a result of Jack's gun fire.  On the Lancastrian right however my Dismounted Nobles rout the French Crossbowmen whilst another unit of enemy bows routs due to my gun fire.  This is too much, and the command routs pushing the Lancastrians over the edge of the breakpoint abyss.  Victory to God and the 'Sun in Splendour' as the Yorkists prevail 13-2.  

Hard fought but mistakes made by Jack.  First time he's ever had a river in any game, and though he chose it, it threw him completely.  Jack knows all about fighting and tactics but his learning curve about terrain issues, and how to use it, is steep.  Rather than explain to him I have to show him by thrashing him enough for him to remember the lessons.  He learns better that way, and he absolutely hates it if he senses you're going easy on him.

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0436_zpsmtfbe4ay

Seriously good fun/bonding with son.  

Wars of the Roses Game Report IMG_0422_zpsnxgfmlrl

All 15mm Peter Pig figures painted and owned by yours truly

Jack's certainly no shrinking violet and he won the previous two games.  Here are some of his best witticisms/sledging/trash talking comments:

"You'd think as you're 41 years older than me that you might stand a chance of winning Daddy"

"Daddy, seriously, please let me roll for your cohesion test. This is getting embarrassing. You're never going to get a pass the way you roll."

"Tell you what Daddy. I know I'm attacking but I won't roll any dice. See if you can hit me when I don't fight back"

I have created a monster. In the debrief afterwards he then tells me exactly where I went wrong, move by move and his thought process of how to win. He was right too.

He mostly has his tactics down to a fine art but still lacks appreciation of terrain. Gawd 'elp me when he does.

Cheers Kev

Fat Wally
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by GamesPoet Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:54 pm

I enjoyed them before, and good to see them here as well.

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down