impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:09 am by kenntak

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:16 pm by ejc

» Dice&Lead magazine
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Errata updated
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 am by dadiepiombo

» Mamluks in Ayyubids Egyptians
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am by Robert Gargan

» Army Scale in Creating Scenarios
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 7:51 am by kenntak

» Army Builder Issue
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am by jorneto

» Scottish Wars of Independence
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm by archibald the grim

» Hoplites equipped with Hoplon
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm by kenntak

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 1

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

Society of Ancients Battle Day

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 pm by ejc

Sorry for the short notice.
Our group is attending this event in Newbury on …

Comments: 3

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland Empty On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:47 pm

I've been wittering on another thread about Vikings, so I thought I should add some photos of my Vikings and my friend's Saxons in action. We have been playing a bit of Impetus lately and I meant to post on my blog, but cannot find a round toit anywhere.

So, from a couple of recent 300 point games:
Vikings are in the foreground advancing towards the Saxon line. I decided to deploy in two lines/commands with my poorer troops ahead of my better troops. My thinking was that the poorer troops could knock some lumps out of the Saxons and my huskarls could then swoop in and clear the field.
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland Vikings%201_zps0yz0oeva
Sadly things did not work out as planned. The hird failed miserably in their task, scoring virtually no hits at all and the Saxons steamrollered over both them and my reserve.
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland Vikings%202_zpsrydyxftw

In the second game I had learnt my lesson. I deployed in a single line/command. My opponent deployed the Saxons in two commands, thinking that he could close down my advance and flank me easily.
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland Vikings%203_zps0o2au7th
He failed and my Vikings steamrollered his Saxons.
On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland Vikings%204_zpsefxiflee

Regardless of the outcome, we had a blast and one day hope to get all the rules right in a single game!

Back to top Go down

On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland Empty Re: On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland

Post by Jim Webster Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:07 am

I do like your terrain and armies, I think they work really well Cool

Jim
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland Empty Re: On the borders of Vikingland and Saxonland

Post by AncientWarrior Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:59 am

I'll second Jim's comments. Well done there! I gather the emblems or markers behind some units indicate disorder and the round stands are for casualties?

Coincidentally, I have just started a Vikings vs Anglo-Saxons battle using a different set of rules (Hail Caesar - ahem, cough, cough) but am thinking seriously about clearing the board and starting over with IMPETVS.

Question: Did you or your opponent use the Shieldwall rules and if so, how did they work for you? I seem to recall there being some disagreement about Shieldwall on the rules forum.

Thanks again for posting and sharing.

Chris

AncientWarrior
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks for the compliments, chaps. I do love 6mm for massed battles. It gives the right feel to me. Our Towton project really showed what you can do with 6mm: http://towton-2011.blogspot.co.uk/

We used the original Shieldwall rules for the first battle and found them a trifle overpowered. The only way for the Vikings to use their impetus effectively was to flank the Saxons. It felt wrong, especially when the Saxons would win on average in a straight fight without impetus. We used the revisions for the second game and it felt right to both of us.

Back to top Go down

Post by AncientWarrior Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:25 pm

I will be sure to check out the Towton project. (Read a short piece about a refight using DBA and 25mm figures in an issue of SLINGSHOT last year or the one prior. Good stuff.)

I re-read the new shieldwall rules (Advanced Rules as of February 2014) and may or may not utilize them in a battle yet to be designed and played. Imagine that I will probably use them though.

On a related note, saw an army list (for another set of rules) that suggested a volley or two of javelins were thrown prior to shieldwalls coming to grips. Reminds me of the Romans and their pila volley . . . wonder if this might be playtested?

Thanks again for link to Towton.

Cheers -

Chris

AncientWarrior
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:24 pm

I've seen lists that permit Vikings a couple of pre-contact volleys. You could experiment and see if the pilum rule gives you the right feel. It might feel suitably heroic or it might just make the Vikings too powerful. This idea is also something that could be factored into the impetus stat of an army. I quite like the limited number of skirmishers that the current army lists give you though. That feels right to me.

Enjoy the link to Towton. I drove myself crazy painting half of the 17000 or so figures we put on the table.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:18 pm

AncientWarrior wrote:I gather the emblems or markers behind some units indicate disorder and the round stands are for casualties?

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this question before. Yes, the markers behind units show disorder and the round stands are casualties. The round stands actually have Baccus 6mm Viking casualties on them. I painted loads of them and then found I still did not have enough! I am hoping to find a way to model better disorder markers too, because I found the current ones too intrusive.

Back to top Go down

Post by AncientWarrior Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Quite alright sir! Thanks for the information.

Had chance to look at the Towton pics.

Though words fail me, I would suggest "impressive" and "spectacular" for a start.

AncientWarrior
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:34 pm

AncientWarrior wrote:Quite alright sir! Thanks for the information.

Had chance to look at the Towton pics.

Though words fail me, I would suggest "impressive" and "spectacular" for a start.

I'd say they were good words for it Very Happy

Jim
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Thank you. The other chaps involved did a sterling job to make it what it was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:14 pm

I love the look of 6mm. Hate painting them but love the look.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:25 pm

I find 6mm a joy to paint. It is so easy to achieve a great effect with minimal effort, and I can paint an entire stand of figures in about 45 minutes. 28mm is my bete noire. I find the figures take so long to complete that I lose the will to live, and they never look as good in reality as they did in my head before I started painting them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:55 pm

I have a heap of painted 6mm but I do wonder if I'll ever paint any more. I might but I'm not tempted Embarassed

I bought a couple of packets of 28mm plastic Saxons and Vikings on a bring and buy but haven't done anything with them

I'm working on the 15mm lead mountain at the moment

Jim
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:32 pm

I think we are all in similar positions, Jim. I shall definitely paint more 6mm, and more 28mm, much though it pains me to do the latter. My 15mm lead mountain seems to have foundered under its own weight though. Well, that and a lack of opponents gaming in 15mm. And my painting mojo has gone for a Burton too, so nothing has been painted in a while here. Circumstances and the need to work on some articles, conference papers and my next book are all getting in the way. It's most inconvenient. I need a lottery win so that I can retire and become a gentleman scholar in the Victorian style. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:04 pm

I tend to paint in bursts. I'll set too and do an army or finish two or something and then I'll not pick up a brush for a year

Jim
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:33 pm

That sounds similar to me actually. It's not the most satisfying way to work, but it does get things done in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by GamesPoet Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Been mostly painting 25/28mm. Maybe I'll get around to painting some 15mm (some WW2 Germans in storage, late Renaissance Cossacks on the painting desk). I own some 6mm WW2 Germans and Russians, but I didn't paint them ... lol. I've been enjoying painting alittle bit everyday that I can, and been making more progress that way, versus doing alot at one time.

GamesPoet
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:33 pm

I've got the last of my Colonial Portuguese on the painting desk and also some Turkish arquebusers to stiffen the Somalis for a mates Abyssinians to take on Very Happy
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:36 pm

I just had a look at my painting desk and realised that I have 6mm Vikings on there all undercoated and ready to be painted to make a diorama for a BUA or camp for Impetus. They have been there for 6 months and have still not painted themselves!! I blame the unpainted 6mm SYW generals who are also on there but have not taken charge and organised things properly.

@GamesPoet: I used to manage my painting by getting up half an hour earlier and painting figures while drinking my morning coffee. I achieved a surprisingly large amount of painting by doing that, but the will to get up early is not present right now. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:51 pm

It's amazing how long things can lurk on a painting desk. I finally finished off six 15mm Indian elephants which had been there for best part of ten to fifteen years Embarassed

Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:59 pm

You make me feel much better about myself, Jim. Cool Mind you, I suppose the still unpainted Red Redemptionist Rebels that I bought in the eighties counts against that, but at least they are hidden in the Unpainted Lead Pile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:07 pm

They the Tabletop SF figures? I've got a heap of them painted. Sand with an ink wash looked pretty good :-)
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Yes, all old TTG 15mm. I painted loads of them, but bought enough to fill every option in the Imperial Commander lists and then a few extras just in case. I still play Laserburn and Imperial Commander every so often, but even the painted rebels need stripping and repainting. Why did we think gloss varnish was a good thing back then? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Well it means the paint is still on them all these years later Wink

I picked up a big bag of both sides from a bring and buy and painted them but haven't got an army list but then as I've always used my own rules it was never an issue

Jim
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:52 pm

There is that. Sadly you cannot see it because the varnish has gone yellow and opaque.

I loved Laserburn from the outset and still find it immense fun. Young whippersnappers these days can't cope with the maths though.

This all reminds me that I still have your Hellfire rules and a fully painted Hell on Dodgson's World figures set. I really must inflict that on my regular gaming partner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum