impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:09 am by kenntak

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:16 pm by ejc

» Dice&Lead magazine
Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Errata updated
Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 am by dadiepiombo

» Mamluks in Ayyubids Egyptians
Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am by Robert Gargan

» Army Scale in Creating Scenarios
Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 7:51 am by kenntak

» Army Builder Issue
Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am by jorneto

» Scottish Wars of Independence
Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm by archibald the grim

» Hoplites equipped with Hoplon
Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm by kenntak

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 1

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

Society of Ancients Battle Day

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 pm by ejc

Sorry for the short notice.
Our group is attending this event in Newbury on …

Comments: 3

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow

2 posters

Go down

Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow Empty Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow

Post by Wellingtonboot Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:48 pm

I just played my first game, a very enjoyable Persian vs Greeks affair in which it was nice to see the Persian bow fire actually have an effect on the hoplites. Greeks won, but only just.

In playing, I noticed that once the battle lines came together, if a unit routed their opponents it took them a long time to wheel round and threaten the enemies flank. The battle was won and lost on the frontal match ups before any unit could swing around and really exploit their success. This isn't a complaint but an observation, and a limited one at that given I've only played one game and it may reflect my tactical ineptitude rather than anything else! But does this tend to be the experience of the game? Allowing troops to about face may make it quicker to swing around especially if your success has taken you past the enemy battle line.
Cheers
Wellingtonboot

Wellingtonboot

Back to top Go down

Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow Empty Re: Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow

Post by Zippee Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:59 am

Probably a function of having mostly FP on the table, who are slow.

Multiple moves should assist, and you'll be less concerned about potential disorder if you're looking for flanks.

Try the same situation with CL and CM, you'll find turning the line much easier.

That said I think Impetus has it about right, I'm not convinced it should be a quick and easy thing to achieve. And more to the point, having achieved it, it's just as difficult for the enemy to respond - and that sounds right to me.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow Empty Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow

Post by Wellingtonboot Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks Zippee. What do you mean by multiple moves assisting?
Cheers
Andrew

Wellingtonboot

Back to top Go down

Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow Empty Re: Wheeling to exploit success - seems very slow

Post by Zippee Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Sorry hadn't realised you were asking about Basic Impetus - in the full game units can make multiple moves each activation, needing to pass a discipline test to avoid falling into disorder.

So your victorious hoplite unit at the end of the line can wheel and/or move more than once on a single activation to achieve the flanking position you want.

Also in the full game with multiple commands it's possible for the flanking command to activate twice before the defending command reacts.

There's a reason Basic Impetus is so called Shocked : the full game adds heaps.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 1ngram Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:46 pm

But did they?

My take would be that they would more readily pursue. In fact it would have been extremely difficult to stop them and control them sufficiently to get them to wheel in, keeping their order as they did so. More likely with faster,looser order troops (as is well shown in BI) but a phalanx of hoplites, say, never mind a body of victorious warriors? Not likely, I think.

1ngram
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:30 pm

Which is why getting a genuine flank attack is difficult to achieve. On the other hand lines certainly were rolled up when units succeeded at turning into the flank.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Wellingtonboot Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks Zippee and 1ingram. There were several instances of victorious hoplites swinging around to attack flanks or the enemy's own successful wing (Delium, Coronea) but given this was hoplite v hoplite the fact that in BI this would be a ponderous move for both sides probably doesn't matter and may be a good simulation. At Delium Thucydides does give the impression that the successful Athenian wing swung around helter skelter and attacked the Boeotian centre in some disorder, suggesting it was a pretty sudden move, but then they get scared off by the cavalry, possibly precisely because they are in disorder. Anyway, looks like I need to checkout full Imptetvs once I've got the hang of BI. Thank again for replies.
Cheers
Wellingtonboot.

Wellingtonboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down