impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Hit in flank?
Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase EmptyToday at 11:54 am by Hope

» Line of Sight - Terrain Features
Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase EmptyYesterday at 8:29 am by Zippee

» FP vs. FL in melee
Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 6:53 pm by jorneto

» Dice&Lead magazine
Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC
Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

» For Sale- Loads of packs/boxes of Mint Victrix Late Romans
Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 pm by Atheling

» War of the Roses Battle AAR
Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm by dadiepiombo

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm by dadiepiombo

» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:09 am by kenntak

Salute 2024 Battle of Pharslus 48BC

Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am by ejc

Forum members welcome to take part in battle of Pharslus Saturday 13th April …

Comments: 0

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 10

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase

5 posters

Go down

Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase Empty Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase

Post by bayleaf Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:37 am

Here’s a query that I’ve been grappling with.

Unit A is activated, charges and melees with Unit B. The result is a draw and both remain locked in combat. Unit C (a friendly unit in the same Command as Unit A) is activated, charges and joins in fighting Unit B.

The question is who fights? Is it both A and C? Previous postings and the diagram on page 47 would suggest that that is so. However the wording in the above clause: “… and that have not yet been activated that turn.” would suggest that only Unit C fights against A. This phrase seems to be immediately contradicted by the next sentence (starting “Units from the Command …”).

Wouldn’t it be clearer if the offending phrase: “… and that have not yet been activated that turn.” were simply deleted or is there some other reason for it being there?

PS thanks for the game in Tonbridge though I couldn't stay long having finished off the central command made it worthwhile!

bayleaf
VBU 2
VBU 2

Back to top Go down

Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase Empty Re: Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase

Post by ejc Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:07 pm

You are right both A & C fight as C reactivates the combat. Whichever of the 2 has more frontal contact with with B will be the main unit the other support but if C is attacking rear or flank it will be the support unit amd A the main unit if attacking frontally even if its front has less contact.
Glad you enjoyed the game at Tonbridge Cavalier 2020 will put a few photos and report on the forum uner Events fairly soon. Regards Eric

ejc
VBU 4
VBU 4

Back to top Go down

Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase Empty Re: Rule 7.7.8 melee in more than one phase

Post by kenntak Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:34 pm

I am not sure. The sentence “… and that have not yet been activated that turn.” has to mean something.

In addition, allowing the already activated unit to engage in melee again seems to conflict with 7.1 which indicates that melee ends the activation of a unit, but that the unit could engage in another phase if pursuit were successful. It says nothing about the ability to engage in melee in any other circumstance.

Would this mean that reactivation of a previous melee cannot involve units that have already activated during that turn, and only applies to a melee in subsequent turn?

edit--Another thing I thought about is that allowing a unit that previously fought a melee to fight again later that same turn would seem to encourage not using groups, but instead, making waves of individual attacks, as each individual attack could allow a unit that fought a previous melee, to fight again that turn.
kenntak
kenntak
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:41 pm

I looked at 7.7.8 again I don't see any confusion. In the first example C activates the melee with B and both A&C fight together against B.

Imagine however that the melee between A&B survives to the next turn. It is during the next turn C moves into the melee. That activates A as well and A&C melee with B. Whatever happens next (draw, pursuit, retreat) C has finished its activation and so has A. Had C been from a different command and had moved first, A could be activated when its command wins initiative.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by kenntak Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:15 pm

Gaius, what causes confusion for me is the sentence "The Unit that "restarts" the melee automatically activates friendly units belonging to the same Command that are involved in the melee and that have not yet been activated. In the above example, A is in the same command and has previously been activated--thus, couldn't one argue that A cannot be activated to participate in the melee? I am not saying that you are wrong, but I can't reconcile the above sentence with other rules.
kenntak
kenntak
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:43 am

'Activates' means activated by command initiative not 'activated to fight'. The issue is whether A can be activated and given orders later this turn or not.

All units fight in combat - fighting in combat is not 'activation.'

If restarting a combat involves another unit of the same command, that unit is also 'activated' i.e. is considered to have had its turn.

If restarting a combat involves another unit of a command that has not yet activated, then that unit is not 'activated' i.e. it does not lose its turn when its command is later activated. It does, however, fight in the combat - but that is not 'activation', that's 'fighting'.

Last edited by Zippee on Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

RainDog and kenntak like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:08 pm

+1 to Zippee.

This is an example of how Impetus creates interesting command choices and why I so much like the game. So for instance, imagine A and B in melee. A new turn starts and A's command is activated. Does the player fight the melee again with A and B or does the player bring in C to assist A? Sometimes this is a difficult choice to make. C helps protect A but at the cost of completing its activation (remember, melee always is the last action of an activated unit.) Sometimes you might want to risk A against B with the hope that A defeats B and forces it back allowing C to later advance or in the case of a draw getting another melee against B with the addition of C when it is activated. The permutations and their consequences are really endless and impossible to scope.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

kenntak likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kenntak Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks for the help. I have read the entire Impetus 2 rule book, and this was so far the only rule that confused me.
kenntak
kenntak
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down