» FP Large Units classed A
Yesterday at 9:46 pm by Gaius Cassius

» Blue Moon Italian Wars units for sale
Yesterday at 1:38 pm by JTIPP68

» Pics for Impetus 2
Yesterday at 12:45 pm by morrisbh

» Any news on Impertus 2?
Yesterday at 9:51 am by dadiepiombo

» Current position regarding Impetus Fantasy?
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:37 pm by robh

» Defensive Fire while retreating?
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:02 pm by Tankred

» A few questions please
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:42 pm by dadiepiombo

» Burgundian mixed pike/Longbow units
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:32 am by Nick B

» Compte-rendu de partie
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:36 am by Bobo

BI2 tournament - 12 May 2018 - CANCELLED

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:26 am by RogerC

EDIT I am very sorry, but I’ve had to CANCEL this tournament. I’ve …

Comments: 9

Vapnartak. Sunday 4th February 2018 Knavesmere Stand York Racecourse

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 am by Cyrus The Adequate

Hi Gents

York is the usual first event in the UK Impetus calendar. This year …

Comments: 28

Basic Impetus 2 Comp, January 2018?

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:03 am by Aurelius

I've brought the confirmed details for the Basic Impetus competition to the …

Comments: 32

Vapnartak York Feb 2018- format options?

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am by Cyrus The Adequate

Hi everyone

I was pondering the options for the York competition and wondered …

Comments: 11

Impetus Competition Derby Worlds 2017

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:42 pm by Cyrus The Adequate

There will be a 28mm Impetus Competition at Derby World Wargames on 7th …

Comments: 47

Impetus at Derby?

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am by Cyrus The Adequate

Anyone interested ? 7th & 8th October at a new venue - Bruntingthorpe …

Comments: 11

October 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Counter-charging 5.9.1 page 28, example 4

Go down

Counter-charging 5.9.1 page 28, example 4

Post by T13A on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi

I'm looking at the above example of counter-charging. Is the end result of this example that unit B is charging and so gets its impetus bonus in the resulting melee and that unit A is not charging so it doesn't get its impetus bonus? Very grateful for some clarification.

Cheers Paul

T13A
VBU 2
VBU 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Counter-charging 5.9.1 page 28, example 4

Post by Zippee on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 am

Units get Impetus if they have moved into contact (and it's not otherwise cancelled by long spears or somesuch) - it doesn't generally matter what this movement is specifically.

I suggest you refer to Advanced Impetus Errata and Explanations not the original rules in isolation.
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

View user profile https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post by T13A on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Zippee

Many thanks for getting back to me on this one.

Actually I have already looked through Advanced Impetus and cannot find anything that even hints that a unit gets it Impetus bonus simply by moving forward rather than having to declare a charge or counter-charge first as specified in the main rules. I'd be very grateful if you could point out to me where it says so. (Very happy to admit I might have missed it).

One thing it does specify in Advanced Impetus (Impetus Bonus in Opportunity Charge on page XI) is that: A Unit which is hit by an opportunity charge has the Impetus Bonus (if not cancelled by other reasons) if BOTH (my highlighting) conditions apply:
1) It declared a charge
2) It is contacted to its front.

In the example that I originally referred to unit A has not 'declared a charge' so I still do not see how it gets its Impetus Bonus.

Very grateful for any further thoughts.

Cheers Paul

T13A
VBU 2
VBU 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:13 pm

A move into contact IS a charge, that's part of the definition of "Charge".

So any movement that ends in contact gets Impetus because it is in effect a charge - it must be declared as such, even if only by potential.

A unit that has declared a charge gets the impetus bonus even if trumped by an opportunity charge (as you indicate) this doesn't require actual movement, the act of declaration is sufficient.

I haven't got the book with me so can't recall the example you're referencing. It sounds an odd situation as you can only counter-charge a unit that is charging, so by default both should get Impetus.

The bottom line is that if a unit has not declared a charge, is not pursuing or otherwise moving into contact, then it shouldn't get its Impetus. It also can't be the target of a counter-charge . . .

Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Granicus Gaugamela on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:25 am

T13A wrote:Hi

I'm looking at the above example of counter-charging. Is the end result of this example that unit B is charging and so gets its impetus bonus in the resulting melee and that unit A is not charging so it doesn't get its impetus bonus? Very grateful for some clarification.

Cheers Paul

Paul,

think of it broadly as "if a fresh unit is moving forward into contact it gets impetus" and then check for weapon (longspear or pike vs mounted for instance) or terrain modifiers (eg CP in rough terrain) to see if there is an overriding reason for it NOT to have impetus.

That covers most situations I can think of including followup after melee, if contact is reestablished then the unit moving forward has impetus, the retreating unit does not etc.

Granicus Gaugamela
VBU 4
VBU 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:47 pm

Paul, you need to read example 4 again. In example 4 B Opportunity charges A not Counter Charges A. Big difference in the rules. Practically speaking A needs to move twice in order to contact B. Sometime during A's first move as he gets closer to B, B can interrupt A's move with an Opportunity Charge. In that case A immediately stops and B charges and contacts A. B gets impetus but A does not. If for some reason B decides not to charge on A's first move but waits for A to charge on his second move (not uncommon in Impetus because one might be inclined to hope that A disorders from his second move) then B could automatically counter charge A and both units would get impetus.
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T13A on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi

Many thanks for all the further comments.

Gaius, I am slightly confused, because I totally agree with your interpretation (!) in that in the resulting melee (of the example) unit B gets Impetus bonus but unit A does not. Which is what I thought I was suggesting in my original query but I think you put it more clearly. However I'm not sure Zippee and Granicus see it this way.

Cheers Paul

T13A
VBU 2
VBU 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Not at all, if GC's description is correct and A is charged whilst moving then A does not get Impetus.

As I said above you get Impetus if you move into contact. Each Move Action taken by a Unit is a separate thing not a continuity of a single movement.

Therefore A's first Move Action is just a move - it cannot be a charge because it does not contact the enemy, nor can it be a declared charge because it could not reach the enemy (sure it may be the player's intent to charge the enemy but that doesn't make this Move Action a charge).

This is the basis of one the most common decisions in Impetus  - declare a charge with charge bonus movement and risk falling short disordered, or move closer and risk an opportunity charge forestalling your attack.

On the whole losing your Impetus Bonus is far less critical than being caught disordered. And this whole interaction is at the heart of CP knight v CM Ghulam and important to all impetuous troops.
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down