impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? EmptyYesterday at 3:51 pm by ejc

» Errata updated
Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? EmptyYesterday at 8:39 am by dadiepiombo

» Mamluks in Ayyubids Egyptians
Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am by Robert Gargan

» Army Scale in Creating Scenarios
Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 7:51 am by kenntak

» Army Builder Issue
Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am by jorneto

» Scottish Wars of Independence
Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm by archibald the grim

» Hoplites equipped with Hoplon
Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm by kenntak

» Depth Bonus in Mixed Large Units
Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? EmptySun Jan 07, 2024 1:55 am by ejc

» Looking for players in central Florida, USA
Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? EmptySat Jan 06, 2024 11:18 pm by Noss Calavera

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 3

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

Society of Ancients Battle Day

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 pm by ejc

Sorry for the short notice.
Our group is attending this event in Newbury on …

Comments: 3

Warfare 2022 Battle of Asculum

Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:55 pm by ejc

We are putting on battle of Asculum at warfare on behalf of the Society of …

Comments: 1

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents?

+2
dadiepiombo
Tankred
6 posters

Go down

Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? Empty Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents?

Post by Tankred Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:34 pm

After my first game of BI I wondered if I have a better idea of how to use T Archers. So far I am screening infantry with them and try to get a lucky shot with them on a nearby opponent. In General, there is usually only one round when the opponent is within range. After that, a charge is usually made by one of the sides.

So I get the point, that Archers can try to make a defence fire when they are charged. Shooting on fresh opponents with 2-3 dice rarely results in more than a disorder, especially if you have the chance only once. There is no indirect fire besides from large units with FP and T only allowed in some lists.

Placing T in e.g. broken terrain is for sure an interesting option, too - if availabe.

So do you guys have any other idea to use T efficiently?

In Basic Impetus S seems far more valuable since they can move very quick, get a -2 if shot at etc. In our game feudal french vs. feudal imperial one of the S units had VBU 3. The S units were more efficient since they could more easily create opportunities through movement. Did I just not get the point how to use T or are T and S of a very similar Battle value in BI?
Tankred
Tankred
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? Empty Re: Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents?

Post by dadiepiombo Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:42 pm

T can fire at longer distance than an S, of course not all Ts are good the same
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents? Empty Re: Archers, just a chance of getting disordered opponents?

Post by stecal Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:30 pm

I think part of the reason S & T archers seem less effective in BI is that there are just fewer of them so no chances of a 2nd & 3rd shooter causing more hits on a disordered unit causing automatic losses due to CT checks.

stecal
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by jeztodd Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi just a point but T shooter units VB 4 can do quite well in combat. I know in a recent Samurai game the T Teppo shooters were screening the Samurai FP - but The shooters kept on holding on in combat and the FP could not get into combat. I am leaning towards deploying T as alongside FP units.

Cheers Jez
jeztodd
jeztodd
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tankred Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks gents for your thoughts. VBU 4 Shooters are really good, although my chosen armies don´t have them. I am usually referring to VBU 3 t, which is close to S having VBU 2 when it comes to dicing.
Tankred
Tankred
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:20 am

I like to use T's on the flanks sometimes, with cavalry in support. Reasonably effective at evening up the odds if facing an opponent with more (or better) cavalry than you.
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Webster Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:51 am

Tarty wrote:I like to use T's on the flanks sometimes, with cavalry in support. Reasonably effective at evening up the odds if facing an opponent with more (or better) cavalry than you.

Yes with my Meroitic Kushite I tend to pad out my somewhat average cavalry with my archers, of which I've got an awful lot.
Jim Webster
Jim Webster
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tankred Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 am

That is a really nice idea, especially with BI, where CP1 and T have the same moving distances (excluding charge distance). Thanks for sharing!
Tankred
Tankred
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down