impetus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Warfare battle of Cunaxa
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:09 am by kenntak

» Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:16 pm by ejc

» Dice&Lead magazine
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 am by dadiepiombo

» Errata updated
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 am by dadiepiombo

» Mamluks in Ayyubids Egyptians
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 am by Robert Gargan

» Army Scale in Creating Scenarios
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 7:51 am by kenntak

» Army Builder Issue
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am by jorneto

» Scottish Wars of Independence
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm by archibald the grim

» Hoplites equipped with Hoplon
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm by kenntak

Warfare battle of Cunaxa

Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:26 pm by ejc

Sorry for short notice we are putting on the above scenario on Saturday 11th …

Comments: 4

Ilipa 206BC Society of Ancients Battle Day

Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 pm by ejc

This year's SOA Battle Day is Ilipa206BC will be about a dozen games all re …

Comments: 1

SELWG 2023 Thapsus 46BC

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:29 pm by ejc

We will putting on the above game at SELG 2023 on Sunday 15th October. Forum …

Comments: 6

Colours 2023

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm by ejc

Sorry for very short notice. We are putting on a game at colours on Saturday …

Comments: 0

Salute 2023

Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:49 pm by jorneto

Any Impetus games in this event?

Comments: 10

Society of Ancients Battle Day

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 pm by ejc

Sorry for the short notice.
Our group is attending this event in Newbury on …

Comments: 3

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well?

+2
Tartty
stecal
6 posters

Go down

are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? Empty are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well?

Post by stecal Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Just noticing this all over the Italian Wars lists in EI 1.

for example, Charles V Imperials, pg 30.

I can buy Harquebusiers (T) 6 4 0 B VD 2 21 pts

else where in the lists are Italian Harquebusiers (T) 6 3 0 B VD 1 19 pts.

in the notes it says you can upgrade the Italian Harq to VBU 4 & the new cost is 21 pts. No mention of VD change, so these stay at VD 1? Seems a bit inconsistent & quite a bargain at 2 pts cost.

stecal
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? Empty Re: are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well?

Post by Tartty Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:19 pm

Yes VD stays the same at 1. This reflects their 'expendability' more than anything else....lot's of examples of this throughout the lists. One that comes to mind are the Carthaginian Celts at only 1VD.....most war bands in the lists are 2VD costs are the same.
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? Empty Re: are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well?

Post by dadiepiombo Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:52 pm

In Impetus the VDs was designed in consideration of expensability more than "valour".
dadiepiombo
dadiepiombo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:39 pm

I agree stecal with you basic point. There has certainly been evolution in the EI lists since EI1 was published. By EI3 most upgrades (but not all!) include an increase in VD. This is an important feature of the mature lists and I hope when the lists are reissued for Impetus 2 that more consistency will be shown around this.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by stecal Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Gaius Cassius wrote:I agree stecal with you basic point. There has certainly been evolution in the EI lists since EI1 was published. By EI3 most upgrades (but not all!) include an increase in VD. This is an important feature of the mature lists and I hope when the lists are reissued for Impetus 2 that more consistency will be shown around this.  

Yes, this is what I noticed in the later lists. Most upgradeable troops include 2 stat lines and any upgrades in the text below are usually up to half at most can be upgraded. Some upgrades for 2-3 points are such a no-brainer I am not sure why the other stat is even offered. Makes too many armies into all super troops.

stecal
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:59 pm

I don't think there is a consistency problem - or rather I dont think the different approaches is a problem. Some upgrades can also involve an increase in Vd - for example upgrading a unit to represent a group of more skilled and experienced troops could justify an upgrade in VD as their loss would be harder felt, but a group of mercenaries or troops who may well fight slightly better but whose worth to the general is limited would not justify a VD increase. Having the flexibility to do both is a bonus

The problem really is the all or nothing upgrades which plague some lists - I am happy that a % of my troops can be elite, but surely there has to be some who dont quite make the grade?
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:34 pm

The later lists (EI3-5) tend to increase the VD for the better troops. I think many of the lists in EI1 and 2 would benefit from a reworking of the VD. Going from VBU 3 to 4 costs 2 points which is really nothing but the extra VD that commonly accompanies the upgrade is an important counter balance.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 pm

But VD isnt a measure of performance, it is a measure of perceived value to the army. It makes no sense having an across the board increase
Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 am

Performance and perceived value to the army seem interdependent to me and linking them seems to be a good starting point in determining VD. So I think one can agree with your statement that an a across the board increase makes no sense while still holding to principle that better troops tend to have higher VD. After all, the "perceived value" of a unit to the army is a highly subjective determination in the vast majority of the lists we play with.

All I'd like to see (and I think stecal is in agreement with me) is to see the lists in EI 1&2 brought up to the same standard of care as the later EIs. So for instance the Seljuk list in EI2 has two levels of CL cavalry (VBU 3 and an upgraded 4) both having VD 2. In the Mamluk list in EI3 also has two levels of CL cavalry (3 and 4) but with the first having VD1 and the second upgraded having VD2. I don't think the difference between the two lists has anything to do with perceived value of the unit to the army but rather a development in the way the lists are designed.
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrus The Adequate Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:28 am

I would totally disagree. On table performance and perceived value (and I mean that in a historical sense) are often quite different. Many battles are won by the lowliest troops, or lost by the highborn being idiots. I'm not saying there is never a link, but it is clear that there should never also be a direct correlation between an increase in VBU and VD.

I would agree we could all value a rehash of the lists to a more even quality - but I would point out some of the later EIs are far from consistent and are also IMHO rather dubious. Updating to the same standard as some lists in EI5 is a retrograde step.

Cyrus The Adequate
Cyrus The Adequate
VBU 5
VBU 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaius Cassius Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 am

Yes, I guess we do disagree. Out of curiosity, what lists in EI5 cause you concern?
Gaius Cassius
Gaius Cassius
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippee Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:22 pm

Yeah assigning VD currently is more art than science. It's a perceived value of worth to army, state, political position, etc - all of which are fairly nebulous and have often very little to do with the units value / performance on the field. Added to which that latter value can change tremendously in comparison to the enemy and terrain.

On the one hand I like the attempt at historical verisimilitude that means your vizier's combat inefficient flower garden guard are worth more VD than the underpaid peasant warriors that will actually have to fight.

On the other hand it sits uncomfortably against a points buy system that attempts to value units on performance and value to the army in a meta army list system. And then determines that the win/lose rests firmly on the VD so bought.

I'd probably be in favour of removing VD from having a points value at all and instead just have it as an assigned arbitrary value based on perceived historical values - which is how we determine that there was actually a vizier's flower garden guard in the first place and how many bases on table it should consist of.
Zippee
Zippee
VBU 5
VBU 5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post by stecal Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 pm

in that case the nomadic horseman's wagon laager camp with all their wives, children and worldly possesions should have a VD value of 1000, and rest of their troops VD 0 as they are willing to die to protect it.

Point values in general are probably way off in all the lists now.  A & B class vs C is probably unbalanced due to the +1 for higher discipline in melee.  This is very noticeable when using VBU 3 or 4 B class troops who got 25% better vs barbarians

stecal
VBU 3
VBU 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartty Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 am

ah this old nut again ... dark and mirky waters Laughing
are upgrades supposed to change the VD as well? 16387333_10154158110717513_1807322671910579180_n_zps9vj0rbey
The VD system in Impetus is one of the things that attracted me originally. It's a move away from low historical content points driven games I think.
Tartty
Tartty
VBU 7 h.c.
VBU 7 h.c.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum